Oovee® Games

Excessive wheel spin on hard dirt

If this game ever returns to Steam (or some other selling platform), this issue would be worth looking into.  It's difficult to gain speed on hard dirt and you can hear constant wheel slip even in higher gears where slippage should be minimal because the truck is already moving and the torque is lower in higher gears.  It seems that the physics model isn't taking into consideration the acceleration of the truck when calculating slippage.  The chance of slippage would be highest when taking off from a stop in 1st gear, but here (in version 1.7.1) it seems just as likely or even more likely once the truck is already moving, as if there's some significant resistance pushing the truck back.

• Like 1

On closer look, the hard dirt where this happens isn't truly hard.  It just looks hard before you drive on it.  On truly hard dirt, the traction seems OK.  So the problem isn't as big as I thought.  It may be just a visual issue and map design.  Perhaps this easy-to-break dirt should have a slightly different look, especially if it's meant to be sand.

Edited by Unster

@oldman777This part of the proving ground is actually labeled as a sand pit or something like that.  So this part is supposed to be sand, in which case the behavior is correct.  The problem is that it looks like packed dirt.  So I think the solution is to give it a more proper texture, including on other maps if they have the same problem.

Edited by Unster
10 hours ago, oldman777 said:

Is it possible to make the mud like in the old versions so that the trucks don't sink into it?

On the proving ground, I also preferred to have hard dirt in this area.  I'm guessing Oovee introduced a new surface type (sand that initially looks like hard dirt) and that's what we have here.  Fortunately there are still areas with true hard dirt.