Oovee® Games

[1.7.0] Game colours and lighting improvements impressed

In this version, all my desires regarding graphic changes have come true.
The fisheye is removed, the color palette is amazing, the night lighting is beautiful ...
I don't even have the desire to swear, at least until the next version. : )

But seriously, thanks for your great work!

Daytime colors are nice, but nights look quite bad in my opinion, even worse than in 1.6.x.  Now there are stripes in the sky near the horizon, and there's black shading on trucks where you can't see the wheels properly while the truck surrounding has too much light.

Edited by Unster

I got better-looking nights with these settings in daystates.xml.  The night light now looks more like moonlight and it shines in a more balanced way, without darkening the truck wheels and brightening the ground too much.  And the sky stripes are now barely visible, while the sky still has a little bit of light.

<Night>
		<Default
			ColorLUT="lut/night_2020__vol_uncmp.tga"
			FogColor="g(99; 103; 105) x 0.05"
			FogScatterColor="g(43; 45; 46) x 0.5"
			HorizonColor="g(83; 101; 115) x 0.03"
			SSAOColor="g(51; 51; 51) x 1.0"
			SkyColor="g(76; 97; 105) x 0.02"
		>
			<Fog Density="0.0035" ScatterAngle="20" StartDist="10" />
			<AmbientUI NegY="g(133; 133; 133) x 6" MidY="g(133; 133; 133) x 6" PosY="g(133; 133; 133) x 6" />
			<Ambient NegY="g(100; 120; 130) x 0.3" MidY="g(100; 120; 130) x 0.5" PosY="g(100; 120; 130) x 0.3" />
		</Default>
	</Night>

Edited by Unster

Everybody has his preferences. I too really like the new colours...I played for whole 5 minutes with them before reverting to 1.4.0 env and daystates. The new lighting and brighter sun combined with 1.4.0's colour scheme....oh my god! Pure gold! Rose gold!

Edited by Truckwolf

The earlier versions of ST (probably 1.4 and earlier) had really nice looking nights IMO, except for the tunnel-vision darkening at dawn & dusk and the sky halo at night, but the nights otherwise looked really good and the lighting actually looked like moonlight.  Now there's this bright spot light that just looks too artificial.  My settings above create a similar effect to the earlier versions, but without the sky halo. 

@oldman777OK, glad you like the current nights, but for anyone else who doesn't, feel free to give my settings a try.

17 hours ago, Unster said:

That's also affected by your brightness & contrast settings, both your monitor and the in-game settings.

I always have all the default settings everywhere and it always suits me. I am well adapted and do not try to adjust the whole world for myself.

3 hours ago, oldman777 said:

I always have all the default settings everywhere and it always suits me. I am well adapted and do not try to adjust the whole world for myself.

That's easy for you to say, now that your fish-eyed menu is removed and the nights are brighter than before and the mud is easier than before.  Thankfully, the last two things are adjustable.