Oovee® Games

Working on the fixes!

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello, Rather than posting in each thread individually, here's a global thread to say thank you for reporting the issues you may have found. We acknowledge them and we are busy fixing them right

Good news, fellas! 🙂 I contacted Zane and here is his reply. The bold and comment in italic are mine.    

Another news: Soon the snow will fall in Russia.

Posted Images

Even though I don't play this game anymore, I have some good memories of it.  At one point (last year) it even seemed promising, like the next generation of virtual offroading, something that could beat MR and even challenge SR.  Well that's definitely not happening anymore, and it's kind of sad how this game came to an end, without even a word from Zane.  I expected better.

Edited by Unster
45 minutes ago, Eversman said:

How they treated us after the time bomb i expect nothing more then this from Zane and the team. They have always been like this - Sadly.

GAME OVER

I read about that.  I wasn't around these games when Pavel left and ST became a broken, abandoned game.  Now we're seeing the same thing all over again.  The next time if Zane re-emerges with a "fresh" product, I'll remember this.  Sad.

This will be what, the third time Spintires is proclaimed dead?

Have a look in this thread from 2015, scroll down to PL's screenshot -> (LINK)

"Death of Spintires...Oovee to..."  😀
Further down is an interesting post by Stetson: "will try to be more understanding next time a update gets delayed"

Same old, same old, right?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Truckwolf said:

Further down is an interesting post by Stetson: "will try to be more understanding next time a update gets delayed"

So what are you saying, that ST isn't dead?  Leaving critical bugs in place for well over a month without explanation is not a sign of an ongoing project.  Interpret it how you want though.

Besides, that time that Pavel left and MR replaced ST as the new, active project, ST really was dead, even if it got resurrected years later.  I believe we are now witnessing another dead phase, and even if it gets resurrected again years later, I'm not sure anyone will be interested, especially if it uses the same old engine.

Edited by Unster

I'm not saying anything really. I just stumbled upon that thread and found it funny that even in 2015 the game was already proclaimed dead once. Considering Stetson's apology, it appears that people were also frustrated back then, but things turned out fine in the end, it was just a delayed update. I hope that it's the same with 1.6.2 and it's just delayed.

If you want my opinion, from my point of view things don't look grim at all.

The way I see it, the game just needs a little touching up. I have the DLC, I have the logs, I've never experienced a crash when opening the functions menu. The only issue that I have with version 1.6.1 is the matter that thin/narrower wheels sink more. While I don't care for b-80, it's affecting Ural-4320 quite badly. That screenshot above that I posted with the buried Ural is the river/lake area on the Coast map. Zil-130 passed through there without any problems, c-255 with light and medium logs - no problem. Ural-4320 with light logs - no problem. But Ural-4320 with medium logs - impossible.  So there's something wrong there with the new yield strength and thinner wheels. Heavy trucks with thinner wheels sink far too easily.

That's pretty much the only issue I have with 1.6.1. With PL's settings the game is actually really good and enjoyable.

Regarding Oovee's vitals: I don't want to interpret anything, I want objective proof - statements by the developers, not rumours, hearsay and doomsaying. The last thing Localhost said is that there are new bugs and he is working on fixing them. Zane even said that Spintires 2.0 is in the early planning stage.  Looks like work is being done and that there're even plans for the future.

@Unster What's with the speculation that Localhost has left Oovee? Is there something that I don't know? I've never been on Discord. You've also said that Oovee is in a tough financial situation and that is public information. Where?

Edited by Truckwolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Truckwolf We also have still the issue with wheel mass bug. Bigger tires are lighter then small ones. Onther bug is that Zil167 floats in water, also the fact that the maps are for the new more realistic mud physics are more ore less just a big mudhole where you never would go with any truck in RL.

But what bothers me the most is the behavior of the team. Despite so many complaints, there has been silence for over a month. As an insipid aftertaste, it's not the first time this behavior has happened. I thought that OOVEE has learned something here but apparently not. Even if Spintires 2 should come along I will think twice about buying something from this development studio again. The confidence is long gone.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't like the silence either. I'm absolutely not excusing it. With my original post I just wanted to make light of the situation and to express hope that 1.6.2 is only going to be delayed and this won't actually be the end of Spintires. It can't end like this - death by Sherp 😀

Regarding E-167: That is easily fixable with a simple edit of it's xml files. I wonder why it was made to float in the first place. The english wikipedia states that it could "cross water". The archive footage of it's trial runs says that it could cross ditches up to 2 meters deep.  (LINK)

Regarding the wheelmass bug: Apparently that is not the case anymore. Localhost said that it's no longer about the weight of the wheels being substracted from the parent frame. Now light wheels vibrate more. Thus they excavate more of the height map than other wheels. In some posts above I reported that I've noticed that the wheels of unloaded trucks twitch/shake. This is probably that vibration that Localhost mentioned. He said that he is working on it, but apparently it's not an easy thing to fix, considering how long it's taking.
I wonder if this vibration is also causing thinner wheels to sink more. Sinking more means that they excavate more, right?
I'll do some tests. Might as well, to pass the time.

Edited by Truckwolf
  • Like 3

Apologies for the double post, but I just wanted to report again that detached trailers still freeze in place in 1.6.1.
I originally submitted a bug report in the bug section for 1.5.0, but nobody commented or confirmed this.
Since this is a livelier thread may I ask the community to confirm this, please. I can't be the only one seeing this.

The screenshot depicts me detaching a trailer on a steep hill. The trailer starts rolling back down only to freeze in place two seconds later. It remains frozen and unaffected by physics until I attach the winch to it or get close to it.
I am guessing that the memory manager might have something do with this.

frozen_trailer.jpg

16 hours ago, Truckwolf said:

Regarding Oovee's vitals: I don't want to interpret anything, I want objective proof - statements by the developers, not rumours, hearsay and doomsaying. The last thing Localhost said is that there are new bugs and he is working on fixing them. Zane even said that Spintires 2.0 is in the early planning stage.  Looks like work is being done and that there're even plans for the future.

+ 1 on that. I am also not very fond of radio silence from the developers, however prolonged periods of inactivity and really annoying and game-breaking bugs are not domain of the ST devs at all.

My main game is DCS, and it had moments, when it was notorious for being broken for months with little feedback from both main and third party devs. Now, I know that DCS is miles more complex than probably anything else, but stakes are also higher - one module is worth between 60 and 80 USD, it can be in early access for 3-4 years easily, it is study level, so you sink hours of reading (manual is around 300 pages for each module), 50+ hours of training for choosen frame to be just decent, and more extra cash, if you count in IR tracker and HOTAS - and those are NOT optional, you simply have to have those. You can only imagine the ocean of frustration, when you can't just enjoy your plane, because of crash to desktop on some vital function.

Comparing to this, ST has small crew, and smaller range of problems, but time to put new fixes to use can be similar, just by proportion. Last update changed a lot in mechanics, probably there are more things to fix than ever before. Maybe fixes will be coupled with new content, if so, then longer period of waiting is understandable. However, until @Zane (Oovee) won't comment on status of the current developement and the nature of future goals, we will have to wait. My preference however would be not to sit in the dark - bugs happen, fixes also, but some information would be in order.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Truckwolf said:

@Unster What's with the speculation that Localhost has left Oovee? Is there something that I don't know? I've never been on Discord. You've also said that Oovee is in a tough financial situation and that is public information. Where?

Localhost hasn't logged into the forum since 8/28.  A critical game play bug (the missing logs) is left in place for almost two months without explanation, even though previously it was Oovee's habit to fix issues like that ASAP.  See last change log where for example missing tire inflation sounds were fixed for people who didn't have the Sherp DLC.  Financial situation of Oovee can be viewed here: https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/06771895-oovee-ltd

So I'm just connecting the dots here.

Regarding the wheel mass bug, light wheels really do make a truck weigh more.  You can see it in the suspension, not just in how deep the trucks sink in mud.  But this & the trailer detaching issue you mentioned are standard behavior that's also in MR.  They're not issues that I would classify as "bugs" for this game but rather as just normal quirky behavior.

Edited by Unster
  • Thanks 1

@Truckwolfmaybe you should get in contact with Zane for a job. Sounds like you really know the issues and where to find some possible solutions.

I would support this immediately.

maybe then ST has a chance to survive.

From the game statistics view the game also dies quite slowly. So why riding a dead horse?

F0400740-D4E3-49EA-9DC3-5F43252A2232.png

Edited by Eversman

@Unster Thank you for the information! Have you tried PMing Zane or Localhost recently, perhaps we should try contacting them. With every post you're slowly raising my anxiety levels...😕

Regarding the trailers:  whoa now, what do you mean this is standard behaviour? It wasn't like that before 1.5.0. You detach a trailer and it rolls all the way down the hill and crashes into the trees and remains affected by physics until you get far away from it.
It's so unrealistic and bizzare. And you're telling me it's here to stay? I don't like it, I don't like it one bit!

Regarding the wheelmass bug:
TL;DR Localhost has explained it on the last page of the Spintires thread. (LINK) and (LINK)

No, no, don't mix sinking and suspension. Those are separate, hence the two components of the fix.  Suspension stiffness and TotalWeightOnWheel are different values.
Localhost has fixed the sinking part, but suspension stiffness still varies with wheel mass.  Light wheels add their weight (6x50) to the parent frame (like they should). They however still cause the suspension to collapse. Those things are separate. How crushed the suspension is doesn't determine how much a truck digs and sinks.

Now however there's a new bug that replaced the dividing of parent frame mass by total wheelmass and that is that light wheels vibrate more - which means that they spin really fast and thus they excavate faster. While nobody will normally change c-255's wheels to light it brings the same concerns as the original wheelmass bug - is c-255 with it's default heavy wheels performing,sinking,diggin as it's supposed to, or is everything out of whack. Are heavy wheels vibrating as much as they should? While I was taking that screenshot with the trailer above I stopped the Ural on the slope and with the default media.xml values it's second axle wheels started bouncing up and down slightly. So I am guessing that things are not as they should be, currently.

Actually I probably owe you an apology, I might have mislead you a bit with my post when I first reported that the wheelmass bug is still a thing. I didn't mean to, but as you can see things have changed.
Originally the wheelmass bug test is carried out by spawning a truck and clicking reload repeatedly. You don't touch the throttle and you don't move the truck. Localhost said that to get a c-255 with superheavy wheels to sink as much as c-255 with light wheels he had to change the parent frame mass to 200 tons!
Now, currently if you do that test you'll see that there isn't really a noticable difference in sinking.  (because he fixed the sinking part)
But as soon as you press on the gas the light wheels absolutely bury the truck.
And as we have now learned it's not wheelmass and wrong equations anymore, it's vibration, light wheels spin faster.
(at least that's how I understand it. It's a lot to take in, this physics overhaul)

@Eversman That's very kind of you to say, but all I'm doing really is repeating stuff that has already been said by Localhost at some point. Localhost is an engineer and a programmer, he is the best man for the job.

Apologies for the long post, phew, I need a lie down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Truckwolf said:

@Unster Thank you for the information! Have you tried PMing Zane or Localhost recently, perhaps we should try contacting them. With every post you're slowly raising my anxiety levels...

Go ahead and try PM-ing them.  I doubt you'll get a reply but let us know if you do.

About the trailer detaching, it's possible the size of the "physics bubble" (where physics are active) has changed.  I don't know, I haven't tried in the latest version.  I can only tell you that MR has a bubble like that too, though it may be bigger.

Anyway, this is all moot as I'm not detecting any heartbeat on ST.  Luckily there's still MR & SR, so personally I'm not too bummed about it.  Plus I play other types of games too.

Good news, fellas! 🙂
I contacted Zane and here is his reply. The bold and comment in italic are mine.

2 hours ago, Zane (Oovee) said:

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out.

Localhost and I have been busy with an update that purely focuses on fixing the issues and improving the mud physics even further over the last month. I have also been busy with company administrative tasks. The fact is, we are a small team of two and replying to each and every comment is time consuming (and sometimes demotivating) which takes time away from what we should be doing. 

The update is in testing right now and will be released shortly

(about the recent negativity and rumours - Truckwolf)
I don't know why people go-off on one, despite the fact I have already posted saying that things are being worked on. I guess that's just how it goes and people would rather spread negativity (in a world that's already covered in negativity, ie, COVID).

So rest assured, things are fine - just hold on!

Best,

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Truckwolf said:

I contacted Zane and here is his reply. The bold and comment in italic are mine.

Interesting.  It still doesn't make sense that Oovee would post an immediate update for something as trivial as tire inflation sounds, but ignore the missing logs for nearly 2 months without an explanation.  If the project isn't dead, then this a very poor way to handle communication and critical issues.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Truckwolf said:

Good news, fellas! 🙂

Yeah, pretty much as I suspected. Maybe there is more to fix (and fix good) than it seems, maybe there is new content/feature planned (and it needs some changes to be implemented in the future), or maybe they switched to fewer, but more thorough updates. Whatever the reason, it is good to be reassured that something is going on - but I don't find it suprising. After all it is the product that feeds developers and pays their rents, to neglect it would be unwise. As for silence, I'm not fan of it, but as I stated earlier, there are much, much worse and damaging kinds of it in the game industry. After all - they told us they are at work, and it seems they are. If they don't have nothing specific to tell yet, then maybe it is better solution to keep quiet and just reveal finished piece.

@Truckwolf

Thank you for some new info, I am really grateful for that. :)

Edited by Fairey Gannet
Typo or two.
  • Like 2

@Fairey Gannet Hello! This is bit off topic, but I just wanted to say Salute! to a fellow virtual pilot. My favourite simulator is Il-2 Sturmovik 1946, I have x52 and made myself a freetrack. I've been flying for about 14 years now (not so much in the past few years though). I am a member of =VSI=. I also love Silent Hunter 5 with TWoS. I've never tried DCS, sounds pretty serious, I'll have to check it out. Cheers!

Edited by Truckwolf
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Unster said:

Interesting.  It still doesn't make sense that Oovee would post an immediate update for something as trivial as tire inflation sounds, but ignore the missing logs for nearly 2 months without an explanation.  If the project isn't dead, then this a very poor way to handle communication and critical issues.

Exactly what I thought. Is it really that time consuming to say „hello we are still here and working on the fix“.

yes they are just two in this company but some public relations is part in this type of business.

but good to hear they are still on the problem. Thanks to @Truckwolf

Edited by Eversman

Two month?
Russian translation has not been updated since the release of Chernobyl DLC.  To do this, need to copy several files to the game folder.

Almost a year there are no rocks in the Canyons DLC, unless you have other purchased DLC.

Edited by oldman777
  • Like 2