Zane (Oovee)

SHERP "Ural Challenge" DLC + v1.6.0 now available!

Ever wanted to drive a SHERP® ATV? Now's your chance!

Read more about the DLC on the store page.

Take the reins of the astonishingly capable ATV's (All-Terrain Vehicle) produced by SHERP® in this officially licensed DLC. Climb aboard the SHERP® N 4X4 ATV with its huge low-pressure tires and its flat-bottomed design allowing you to climb over obstacles of all shapes and sizes, use this vehicle to scout for cloaks located around the map before bringing in the monstrous SHERP® the ARK 10x10 ATV, the big boy of the pack.

SHERP® the ARK has articulated steering that can also steer vertically to climb over obstacles, or as with both ATVs, they are entirely amphibious, and they can swim across large bodies of water, even with a full load!

This DLC also includes a highly detailed map closely inspired by Yugyd Va National Park in the Ural Mountains area, offering the perfect environment to demonstrate the capabilities of the SHERP® ATV's! There are various challenges found throughout the map, including a collapsable bridge and an objective that is only accessible by water.

Included in the pack:

- Officially licensed SHERP® N ATV (4x4) with custom sounds, two paint schemes and 4K textures.
- Officially licensed SHERP® the ARK ATV (10x10) with custom sounds, crane attachment, garage load attachment and 4K textures.
- A sizable and highly detailed map closely inspired by Yugyd Va National Park with various dynamic obstacles.

This DLC brings with it a bunch of new features and improvements to Spintires® base game including:

v1.6.0

Added / New
- Differential steering, either by braking one side of wheels or reversing its rotation (tank-like).
- Tire inflation systems (CTIS) to vehicles who support it.
- Support for chassis with multiple drivable articulations (ex: twisting left/right, and tilting cab up/down).
- Driver animations for vehicles driven with levers instead of a steering wheel.

Improvements

- Much more realistic water interactions, which now account for the shape of what's immersed, and applies buoyancy, water flow pressure, and skin friction.

- Entirely rewritten mud physics/simulation (not final, tweaks will be applied according to constructive feedback). New mud physics:
  - Allow climbing out of a trench before reaching solid ground, if you have good grip and low slip.
  - Reduce tarmac grip for a while after leaving mud, depending on how much your wheels are caked in mud.
  - No longer deadstop vehicles with large wheels when they are barely dipping in mud.
  - Accounts for weight distribution over the wheels.
  - Road tires no longer perform well in mud but are less likely to break packed dirt surface.

- Removed the driver's sleeping animation (his back clipping through seats was a headache for both modders and developers).
- The driver now looks at where he's going, instead of looking at the camera.
- Increased maximum number of bones per mesh 16→40.
- Forward Kinematics bones now have a mode dedicated to engine fan.
- Stronger brakes and diff locker.
- Smarter autogearbox, capable of useful downshifts during hill climbs.
- Drivetrain can now handle vehicle with wheels of different sizes.
- Enabled specular effect on static assets (aka "models").
- Crane grappler rotation button in the advanced menu has been merged with the main button for crane operation.
- Small change to advanced menu visuals.
- Improved "brown" water.
- Improved water particles, especially those particles when driving amphibious vehicles over water.
- Improved rain textures.

Fixes
- Crash when refueling in multiplayer.
- Some crashes when loading saves.
- Brakes now stop motion between wheel and chassis, instead of stopping absolute wheel motion.
- Killed "speed damage" (vehicle taking lots of damage when going fast, even on flat ground).
- Tires with high substance friction will no longer cause absurdly high fuel consumption.
- UI bug when at a fuel station.
- Achievement names and descriptions incorrectly displayed if they contain non-latin characters.
- Starting a game without clicking on "casual" or "hardcore" would start a hardcore game, even if casual was selected.
- Corruption after removing an addon in MP.
- Joining MP games through invites or friend list would sometimes not work.
- Increased K-700 and E-167 grip in mud.
- D-535 wheel rim could deform like rubber.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Great! I am happy to see some familiar points and ideas made reality once again. From a quick glance  I can say, that changes and fixes made are well thought, and they are pointing into right direction. I like them especially when coupled with previous Vehicle Pack Vol. 1 - then there was some solid ideas about useful and varied vehicles, here is mechanics expansion for future solutions. Like it, love it, keep at it.

P.S.

Right now I can tell, that while I like many new ideas, there is one thing that hits me hard right from beginning. Drivers animation in SHERP 4x4, especially on bumps is stuff of nightmare. Something between St. Vitus dance, late Soviet-era failed experiment and plain possession. It needs fixing.

Edited by Fairey Gannet
Post scriptum added.
  • Haha 1

I'm glad to see traction finally being taken seriously.  This update definitely moves it in the right direction.  There's now nice & clear distinction between offroad and highway tire performance.  But there's still a problem with the offroad tires.  In deep mud, they remain far too capable.

20200731164949_1.thumb.jpg.949abb000d3160107c71f912e2409f4c.jpg

When you're this deep in mud in real life, you aren't going anywhere no matter how good your tires are.  The axles and undercarriage is stuck in mud and there's no climbing out.  But in this test scenario, I was able to climb out without a problem.

The E-167 still needs some work as well.  It's highly capable in mud as long as there's no wheel slip, but once slippage occurs it's kind of a sitting duck, just barely crawling.  Once the tires slow down and slippage stops, you can really see the traction kick in again.  It looks like my suggestion for the variable FullPushDepth weren't implemented, especially seeing the value is still 1.2 and I assume it applies to all trucks as a hard-coded depth rather than as a relative value to the tire radius.

Overall like I said, this is definitely a step in the right direction but it still needs some work.  Feel free to discuss this more with me, here or over PM.

I'm also glad to report that with this version the Vehicle Pack DLC is working for me once again.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Unster said:

The axles and undercarriage is stuck in mud and there's no climbing out.  But in this test scenario, I was able to climb out without a problem.

This is strange. I tried to reproduce this and I can barely move. Do you have any modifications? I don't think I do.

There was no need to redo the passability of all the trucks. The trucks speed is now 10 meters in 5 minutes.

From entertainment the game turns into mud masochism or dirty perversions. (I do not know how more correctly in English).

Edited by oldman777

7 hours ago, DeltΔV said:

This is strange. I tried to reproduce this and I can barely move. Do you have any modifications? I don't think I do.

I did the test with no modifications (custom Media folder not loaded).  Here's another, similar test I just did & recorded.  Note how the truck is plowing through the mud.  Sure it's going slow but IRL the truck would be 100% stuck.  Is this what you called "barely moving"?  To me that's much more.

2 hours ago, Unster said:

I did the test with no modifications (custom Media folder not loaded).  Here's another, similar test I just did & recorded.  Note how the truck is plowing through the mud.  Sure it's going slow but IRL the truck would be 100% stuck.  Is this what you called "barely moving"?  To me that's much more.

Well, it's definitely a lot slower than it was before, but I suppose you mean it should be completely unable to move. Fair enough. Traction in general seems to have decreased too, I find, which implies to me that Oovee do not have much control over how it acts in different situations.

21 minutes ago, DeltΔV said:

Well, it's definitely a lot slower than it was before, but I suppose you mean it should be completely unable to move. Fair enough. Traction in general seems to have decreased too, I find, which implies to me that Oovee do not have much control over how it acts in different situations.

Really, this crawling is slower than it was before?  I wouldn't know.  I had custom mud settings before this update where in this situation the truck would be spinning wheels in place, as it should.  I only restored the stock settings to test this update.  But now I'm unable to tweak the traction to get proper behavior with this new system.  FullPushDepth seems to have been taken out of commission.  It now does nothing (seemingly).  I can lower the SubstanceFriction to reduce the deep crawling, but then shallow mud becomes much too slippery.  So the problem isn't necessarily with the friction itself but how it changes with mud depth.

Edited by Unster

On 8/1/2020 at 1:31 PM, DeltΔV said:

Traction in general seems to have decreased too

You're not the only one who feels that way.  I assume you mean more shallow mud is where the traction has decreased.  To me shallow mud is about where I had it with my custom settings, so I'm fine with it.  Deep mud on the other hand seems even easier than it was in the original game from what I remember.  So I think the core of the problem is that mud depth doesn't matter enough.

Water is also strange.  I haven't tested deep water but the shallow pond in proving ground provides no resistance to a C-255.  It wasn't like that before.  Perhaps these changes were needed for the floating Sherp, but regular trucks should definitely feel resistance from water.  Even the Sherp I'd expect to slow down a little when entering water.

Edited by Unster

I didn’t tested so much until now but the water feels really odd. No resistance whatsoever.

my first impressions on the mud is that it’s harder to go through. Buried a loaded gaz66 with loaded trailer right on the start On proving grounds.

• Like 2

I must say shallow mud feels pretty good / realistic.  Here I barely made it up this hill even with AWD and diff lock.  Perhaps that's what the physics were tuned for.  If deep mud properly got you stuck, I think it could be perfect.

20200802233502_1.thumb.jpg.e67cd7ba1150ac2a642a05317423e24d.jpg

• Like 3

The physics of the mud that was earlier, I was completely satisfied.

It was necessary to first separate the physics of dirt for hardcore and casual mode, and only then make changes.

I play the keyboard, only in casual mode, and there is no way left for me to play normally at all.

11 hours ago, oldman777 said:

It was necessary to first separate the physics of dirt for hardcore and casual mode, and only then make changes.

I play the keyboard, only in casual mode, and there is no way left for me to play normally at all.

I think that's a fair suggestion.  Perhaps casual mode can have the old physics or some kind of assist?  I'd be fine with that.  I never play casual, and I have wheel & pedals so I can control the throttle as needed.

Edit: As I recall you can feather the throttle with keyboard as well, so another physics mode for casuals may not be needed.  I haven't tried it myself but I hear it's possible.

Edited by Unster

What to say? Great update and amazing DLC!!!

The Sherp is a fun little thing to drive!

I admit I was skeptical when it has been announced but, again, you did a great job considering how small the team is and the amount of modifications you must have done, I guess, to make it work properly.

The map is incredibly detailed, very very beautiful and one of the best maps I played so far: breakable and wobbling bridge, new textures, new assets, nice design...I am really impressed with this map. This DLC and the update for the base game exceeded by far all my expectations. 

I really like the amount of things you worked on in these months also for the base game.

I particularly appreciated the smarter auto-gear, it makes his job without being a PITA as in other games.

The new variable pressure for tires is a nice introduction, it requires some more work to be perfect but it's a great addition to the game.

The new values for the traction are something that arrived unexpectedly but it's more than welcome, we asked for it for long time, so... thank you!

Feathering the throttle is finally useful and fun again. When the wheels loose traction, feathering the throttle helps to find grip again and exit from bad situations.

Having to manage the throttle is a great gameplay improvement, it is much better than before, great job!!!

Obviously there are things that may need some more work, polish, tweaks to be perfect (I am looking at you "variable pressure") but there will be other threads to discuss/suggest improvements for new and old features.

13 hours ago, oldman777 said:

Sometimes I play with keyboard too and you can have a sort of analog throttle with the keyboard too. Once you get used to it, it's fun to use.

Just in case you don't already know here is how to do:

- Select the gear lever (clicking on it with the mouse or hitting "R" key)

- With the lever active, right click to make it "always active" (you will see the little grey top of the lever turns white)

- While accelerating with "W" you can feather the throttle sliding the lever in the "low gear" section of the gear.

When doing the above, you have not control over the camera, if you take control of the camera by clicking with the mouse, you will exit that "always active" state of the gear lever. So before the process above, put the camera in a comfortable position for you and proceed with the those steps. It may take some time to get used to it, but once you master this simple technique, you may have more fun than before even using a keyboard.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys for the advice above.

I hope the developers will return the casual mode to the way it was before. I have my own perception for computer games.
If the game is not overloaded with real life difficulties, then I am ready to pay for this entertainment.
But when the game turns from entertainment to real work, I'm used to getting paid for it, not paying.

• Like 1

@oldman777Even I, a hardcore realism fan, has seen what I think you referred to as a "dirty perversion" (in mud).  Playing the Volcano level with the new physics I feel trucks sink too easily in some places, and you end up either complete stuck with a 2WD truck or unrealistically crawling through deep mud with a 6x6.  If mud was made a little firmer, it could partly address these issues.  There really needs to be a bigger difference between deep & shallow mud.  They behave about the same.

Just finished the new map!
So detailed and gorgeous. A lot of new objects, beautiful water, and very realistic rocks. Feels like Spintires2. The map is very challenging too! I enjoyed discovering alternative unmapped routes and removing cloaking. The rope bridge and swimming are excellent gameplay features! Please keep up the excellent work!

I am not sure how I feel about new mud and tire pressure - need to play more.

3 hours ago, Unster said:

@oldman777Even I, a hardcore realism fan, has seen what I think you referred to as a "dirty perversion" (in mud).  Playing the Volcano level with the new physics I feel trucks sink too easily in some places, and you end up either complete stuck with a 2WD truck or unrealistically crawling through deep mud with a 6x6.  If mud was made a little firmer, it could partly address these issues.  There really needs to be a bigger difference between deep & shallow mud.  They behave about the same.

Didn't mean to offend anyone by saying "dirty perversion". It was just a burst of emotion.
When I was younger, I also loved the hardships and realism of life and games. I even intentionally created problems for myself in real life, in order to fight it later. Now I am almost 60 years old, and I want simpler entertainment. Apparently the difficulties became enough in real life, and in the game I want a simple rest.

8 hours ago, Unster said:

This video was made by Silent Hunter (one of the discord server members):

This says it all imo, or at least most of it. Something's wrong with the diffs and traction in general. The rewrite needs rewriting

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DeltΔV said:

This video was made by Silent Hunter (one of the discord server members):

This says it all imo, or at least most of it. Something's wrong with the diffs and traction in general. The rewrite needs rewriting

yes, something is definitely wrong with diffs and traction. Like inter-axle diff is present. Real truck don't have it. This should be fixed!

edit: the diff issue obscures changes in mud physics. I was under impression it was harder to plow through the mud because it is more viscous than before. Now I think it was mostly because diffs are not working properly.

Edited by gothmog

I´ve tested it now on different Maps with different Trucks and i have to say it´s no fun. The mud traction and diff behaviour is really bad.

This settings has to be reviewed. I got immediately stuck with the B-505 with AWD engaged right in front of the Garage. 

Beside the really nice quality of the DLC the new "improvements" are rubbish.

It seems to me the main problems are how the wheels behave with AWD and without diff lock.  As the video correctly points out, with AWD at least one wheel in the front and one wheel in the back should spin at the same speed.

The other problem is the insufficient difference between shallow and deep mud as I mentioned.  On the one hand you can easily get stuck where previously you could go through, while in other places with AWD and diff lock you are like an earth digger.

And of course there's the water resistance but that's a separate issue.

I hope these issues can be ironed out without going entirely back to the old physics, where smaller highway tires did better than large offroad tires in mud.  Now that was rubbish.

I think the new issues will be ironed out, they just need more time. The Sherp DLC needed to make it out in July as was announced and not enough time was given to check all changes.

Spintires now theoretically has enough elements to make it challenging and fun and better than MudRunner. Practically, however, if they don't fix these latest issues to bring it to full potential (and in fact it's kinda broken now) I really don't think they'll be able to sell another DLC for it.

We all understand that as a business Oovee needs a constant income and thus to sell games and DLC. But with two paid DLCs already and plenty of new features it's time to take a break and polish up the game before committing to more. And indeed, if these things do get fixed, the community may be encouraged to buy yet another DLC (this year) before Spintires 2 eventually comes out.

As a parenthesis, it's actually a valid business model to improve and add DLC to an old game instead of releasing a new one every few years. Euro Truck Simulator 2 is proof. That game, launched in 2012 is still alive and well today due to constant updates, many free, but also many paid.

• Like 2