Oovee® Games

3 hours ago, 8up local said:

also would recommend to remove the intro music as well if doing this imo.

There's intro music?

I don't see anything wrong with the splash screen.  It's pretty nice.  But I think in the long run it should be something other than the Chernobyl DLC.  Same goes for the main menu dynamic background.  Hopefully that's not the source of the stutter.

18 minutes ago, Unster said:

There's intro music?

My reaction too.

20 minutes ago, Unster said:

I don't see anything wrong with the splash screen.  It's pretty nice.  But I think in the long run it should be something other than the Chernobyl DLC.  Same goes for the main menu dynamic background.

I agree, maybe make it so that the splash screen and menu background change depending on what dlc you have installed, but could also be a random map. I think that would be a nice touch. There could even be a truck driving past every now and then, if you wanted to go really fancy with it.

48 minutes ago, DeltΔV said:

I agree, maybe make it so that the splash screen and menu background change depending on what dlc you have installed, but could also be a random map. I think that would be a nice touch. There could even be a truck driving past every now and then, if you wanted to go really fancy with it.

I'd be perfectly fine with a nice static background (an image).  I'm not a big fan of 3D animated backgrounds unless they are informative, for example showing the picked character / truck.  Otherwise they are just resource hogs.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Unster said:

There's intro music?

I don't see anything wrong with the splash screen.  It's pretty nice.  But I think in the long run it should be something other than the Chernobyl DLC.  Same goes for the main menu dynamic background.  Hopefully that's not the source of the stutter.

yeah, my mistake. i guess i just said it not thinking which game has it. i remove the intro from both games. i forgot ST does not have intro music. although i seem to keep thinking there used to be? my memory is not what it used to be. 🙄

@Localhost (Oovee) Ah, got ya, I assumed this may be the case, just thought I'd ask anyways.. I have no issue with the image, more that I was interested in loading straight into the game like it used to, but if its there as a loading screen, its not a problem for me.. 

I spend a lot of my time messing about with mods so have to restart the game every time I update a texture or model, which does take a bit of time.

This leads me to another question: is there a way to include texture, model and addon updates when pressing the 'Reload' button when on the proving ground to save having to restart the game (or exit to menu when changing addon locations etc) ? Apologies in advance for swearing, but Mudrunner does include this feature so it should, in theory, be possible in ST?

5 hours ago, kingpinn said:

is there a way to include texture, model [...] when pressing the 'Reload' button when on the proving ground to save having to restart the game.

That's what the 'Update' button does, it's immediately below the 'Reload' you mentioned.
For textures, 'Update' only reloads from .tga (in [media path]/textures/[usually a subfolder]/filename.tga ), the tga must exist before launching the game, but you can change its content without restarting the game.
For meshes, I haven't checked, but I presume it'll work the same way, only reloading from .x+.xml pair in [media path]/meshes/[usually a subfolder]/filename.xml.

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Localhost (Oovee) said:

That's what the 'Update' button does

I have used this in the way back when I first started learning how to mod ST, however the screen looks like this after clicking 'Update':

spacer.png

I didn't know what to make of it so haven't used it since. 

For textures, 'Update' only reloads from .tga

Please excuse my ignorance, I have been modding textures etc for years and am still learning, I save textures in DDS format, and list as such in the meshes XML, does the this still apply for dds or will I have to save the texture as .tga?

(in [media path]/textures/[usually a subfolder]/filename.tga )

does this also apply to image files in the root of the Media Folder?

I apologise in advance if these seem like stupid questions.

1 hour ago, kingpinn said:

I have used this in the way back when I first started learning how to mod ST, however the screen looks like this after clicking 'Update':

Badnoob's HET, black & white ED?

Anyway, on a vanilla ST straight from Steam, the update button just says "Out of date textures/meshes/sounds reloaded" and doesn't turns the game monochrome.

Did you put a file in [some media source]/textures/env/decals_normal__d_a.tga ? That's only reason I see why it'd claim it reloaded that file. (<-repeat this line for all other files reloaded on you screenshot).

Please excuse my ignorance, I have been modding textures etc for years and am still learning, I save textures in DDS format, and list as such in the meshes XML, does the this still apply for dds or will I have to save the texture as .tga?

The intended workflow is that artists save their textures in .tga and list them as "trucks/b131__d.tga" in the mesh xml. That how the official assets are/were created.
When the game sees "trucks/b131__d.tga" it converts the "/" into "_", and ".tga" into ".dds" and tries to load that first.
If it fails, or when you click 'Update', the game will try to load "textures/" + the .tga path (as is) entered in the mesh xml, then will generate a .dds from it using the suffixes (__d, __d_a, etc..), saving the .dds in %appdata%/Spintires/TextureCache.

Experimenting with the above substitution, it seems writing "trucks/b131__d.dds" in the mesh cause the game to load trucks_b131__d.dds by default, and textures/trucks/b131__d.dds on Update. Not the intended way, but appears to work.

2 hours ago, kingpinn said:

"(in [media path]/textures/[usually a subfolder]/filename.tga )"

does this also apply to image files in the root of the Media Folder?

I apologise in advance if these seem like stupid questions.

If you are saying "can I drop my tga in Media/textures/[subfolder ?]/*.tga", the answer is yes.
Now so that there is no misunderstanding, if you see a texture named trucks_gaz66_glass__d_a.dds at the root of a media source, likely the corresponding tga would be [any media source]/textures/trucks/gaz66_glass__d_a.tga.
...Unless the author listed it as DiffuseMap="trucks_gaz66_glass__d_a.tga", in which case the tga would have to be [any media source]/textures/trucks_gaz66_glass__d_a.tga.

Oh, and something I say to every DDS maker I meet:
-DXT5 is NOT better than DXT1. Save in DXT1 whenever your image is fully opaque.
-The only advantage of DXT3 & DXT5 over DXT1 is that they handle transparency, doubling the file size, even when the image is fully opaque. No, the extra file size does not mean extra quality. RGB channels are stored exactly the same way and with the same quality in DXT1/3/5 formats.
-Only use DXT3 for images with sharp alpha transitions (ex: fully opaque pixels neighboring fully transparent pixels).
-Only use DXT5 for images with gradient alpha transitions (internally DXT5 files only store 1 pixel out of 4 and gradients between each when rendering).

• Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, Localhost (Oovee) said:

Badnoob's HET, black & white ED?

Well, more millitary green. I'm trying to optimize the mod (the longest way possible as I have no access to the original model :lol:) as the FPS goes through the floor when using it in its released state. 

54 minutes ago, Localhost (Oovee) said:

Did you put a file in [some media source]/textures/env/decals_normal__d_a.tga ? That's only reason I see why it'd claim it reloaded that file. (<-repeat this line for all other files reloaded on you screenshot).

I've done some digging and have found the culprit files.  To be honest, back in 2015 when I first got ST, I went a bit nuts downloading various mods without really understanding what I was doing and as time has gone on, I have never got round to sorting it all out. Thanks for the pointer, the update button now works as it should, without a ton of errors and everything turning white!

spacer.png

Now that this is sorted, if I go though and convert all of the texture files to .tga, and then update the mesh XML file with .tga extensions - whenever I then edit a texture and subsequenty press the update button, I should see the update in game without having to restart the game?

2 hours ago, 8up local said:

never stupid to ask questions if you are wanting to learn.

I know what you mean, its more that I'm trying not to come accross as ungrateful for the help and I appreciate that people have to spend some time typing responses, instead of more important things that they are more likey need to do.. :lol:

Edited by kingpinn
  • Haha 1

Now that this is sorted, if I go though and convert all of the texture files to .tga, and then update the mesh XML file with .tga extensions - whenever I then edit a texture and subsequenty press the update button, I should see the update in game without having to restart the game?

You don't need to convert all textures to tga, only those you plan to edit.
Other than that, the answer is yes.

• Thanks 1