Oovee® Games

v1.4.0 (full) now available!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

v1.4.0 Added / New -Option to remove the 60FPS cap. -Orbital camera mode. -Right-side view angles in classic camera mode. Cycle by tapping or holding 1 or 2. -Possibility to zoom in freecam mode.

You can't expect perfect accuracy from field experiments. Being barely 10% away for the theoretical value is pretty good. Punching in values, IF Kraz 255 had a steering angle of 30 deg IRL,

Hang in there.  The devs are dealing with a number of issues and they are a very small team.  I'm still waiting for a fix to the stutter that started sometime in December.😐

Posted Images

Weeks ago I was fiddling with turning radius and started to search for real turning radius and put them in-game, but when I tried to empirically measure the turning radius I found that the actual values are very close to real counterparts. I am pretty sure I measured the 255 too, I didn't test all the trucks though.

To see if the radius was the same as technical datasheets I found online, I used some trucks and put them in a straight line of about double the length of the turning radius. Of course, taking for granted that the length of the truck I used,  corresponds to the real length of the truck. 

If the steering angle is correct, starting from one end of the line of trucks the turn should arrive at the other end drawing a perfect demi-circle with the line of trucks as its diameter.

I found that those trucks I tested had correct values. I repeat that I am pretty sure the 255 was one of those I tested because I use it a lot so I wanted to "fix" it but, despite it looks like it has a very large turning radius in-game, the values Zane or Localhost used are very accurate.

I totally agree with DeltΔV,   on a hard surface the grip is too low, with a realistic "low" steering angle, the wheel is not aggressive with the ground and tends to slip very easily. Having a higher value of the steering wheel compensates for the lack of traction on hard surfaces because the wheel "enters" with a more aggressive angle when turning. It's very easy to see it when driving on a dirt path, no mud just hard surface, with a little raised middle part when trying to turn, the wheels can't "climb" the middle part even if it's not so much and start to slip so the truck goes forward like if it's on a railroad. Having a bigger steering angle reduces a lot of this behavior. In the end, the real value for the steering wheel makes the truck behave unrealistically. 

I think that the wheels should be revised in their values. I found better, for example, to change the friction value of offroad wheels from "offroad" to "highway", in this way they have more grip on dirt roads. 

Friction="Offroad" -> Friction="Highway"

Then add, if it's not already present, a value for  "SubstanceFriction", used for mud so to override the SubstanceFriction that comes with the Highway preset used before

SubstanceFriction="1.8"

In this way, wheels have more grip but to be honest, just increasing the steering radius already helps.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, carlito244rs said:

I'm afraid you must have no experience with real vehicles of that kind then.

bruh im not old enough to drive

pretty close tho

also i live in the uk where would i get one of those (I know you can get them here and i would if I could but it would be very impractical at the moment)

Edited by DeltΔV
5 minutes ago, Zukakis said:

I think that the wheels should be revised in their values.

This is what I've been saying, thank you! Lateral traction should be increased substantially on hard surfaces and longitudinal traction should too.

Edited by DeltΔV

I would concur with carlito and I don't think pavement traction plays a significant role.  You can see the difference in steering angle just from the pictures, and the videos only confirm it.  The wheels turn more, even when the vehicle isn't even moving.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, carlito244rs said:

I really don't get it... @Zukakis, why are you keeping up digressing, meanwhile ignoring the screenshots, photos and recordings I've posted?

You obviously ignored what I wrote, I told that after empirical tests I realized that in-game values are pretty accurate, I don't mean the steering angle itself but the turning radius they give to the truck, because it's a game, not a 1:1 simulation, and its physics, while nice, is a broad approximation of the real behavior so not always we can take picture of real-life and say "it should be like this"  if with different values we achieve a closer to real behavior, it's a matter of finding the right compromise I guess. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, carlito244rs said:

In the video you can see that the wheels are sliding sideways. Go to the paved yard bit in the proving ground, put some weight on the back of your truck and try and drive in a circle at a decent speed. Look at the front wheels. Even though there should be more friction from the weight, the wheels still slide and you go closer to a straight line. This should not happen.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, carlito244rs said:

I really don't get it... @Zukakis, why are you keeping up digressing, meanwhile ignoring the screenshots, photos and recordings I've posted?

20191215144506_1.thumb.jpg.cf7d9fba81999f65d545ff7eab89a651.jpg

So, accordingly to this site the kraz 255b has a turning radius of 14.2meters, so it can draw a circle of about 28meters in diameter. 

On Wikipedia the Kraz has a length of about 8.6meters so 3 kraz inline cover a length of 25.8 meters, even less than the turning diameter of above. 

As you can see the kraz covers the turn with an expected trajectory considering the real-world values. 

In any case, I find that a bigger steering angle works better in-game (the reason why is in my previous long post and what Delta said before me), even if I don't dislike the actual turning radius

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, carlito244rs said:

@Zukakis Wrong. You take the inner outline instead of the outter one. 😏 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turning_radius

20191215144506_1_LI.thumb.jpg.d2bf6116fa67f117fae86d183c5dff03.jpg

Let's consider outer wheels then.

Width of 255 = 2.75m

2.75+25.8+2.75=31.3  that is not so weird or so wrong considering that the real truck turning circle has a diameter of 28m and the truck in the pic ends the turn even before the limit of 31m. 

• Like 1

You can't expect perfect accuracy from field experiments. Being barely 10% away for the theoretical value is pretty good.

85489237_Steeringangleexplanation.thumb.png.ca0dfe39298342ba4399914f98f5880c.png

Punching in values, IF Kraz 255 had a steering angle of 30 deg IRL, they would have a steering radius of 5.3/sin(30 deg) = 10.6m. Pretty far from the 14.2m we all seem to agree on.

21.92 deg gives a 14.2m steering radius in that formula.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, DeltΔV said:

Now can we stop arguing about the turning radius and focus on the actual problem: traction?

Traction isn't an issue at low speeds.  I checked today and at low speeds the truck is turning exactly where the wheels are pointing.  At higher speeds, you will have some traction issues, but that's realistic.  It's called understeer.

3 minutes ago, DeltΔV said:

I'm aware, but it happens more than it should.

Perhaps.  It's quite possible that it happens at too low of speeds.  Wheel spin is also a little excessive on pavement, though not as bad as MudRunner.

2 hours ago, Localhost (Oovee) said:

You can't expect perfect accuracy from field experiments. Being barely 10% away for the theoretical value is pretty good.

85489237_Steeringangleexplanation.thumb.png.ca0dfe39298342ba4399914f98f5880c.png

Punching in values, IF Kraz 255 had a steering angle of 30 deg IRL, they would have a steering radius of 5.3/sin(30 deg) = 10.6m. Pretty far from the 14.2m we all seem to agree on.

21.92 deg gives a 14.2m steering radius in that formula.

OK, I see the problem is a lot simpler than I was imagining.  I had trouble visualizing the steering angle in that scenario.  But if that angle is the equivalent, then the math is correct.

Here you are:

image092.jpg

Source: https://banga.ua/pages/zapchasti-kraz-dokumentatsiya/avtomobil-kraz-255b1/362-rulevoe-upravlenie-kraz-255b1

So, as you can see, wheel at the inner side of curve turns more than the outer one. The inner maximal angle is 31° with the outer one being meanwhile turned 6,5° less.

The another thing is what I found here: https://trucksreview.ru/kraz/kraz-255-tehnicheskie-harakteristiki.html

"Радиус поворота: по внешнему колесу – 1З,5 м, габаритный – 14,2 м" > "Turning radius: on the outer wheel - 13,5 m, overall - 14,2 m"

Now the Wikipedia graphics:

400px-Wendekreis_Pkw.svg.png

So the first, up to now discussed value of 14,2m, is a result of the circle named "Wendekreis", which is determined by the very outer point of the turning vehicle's outline.

On 12/14/2019 at 10:45 PM, Localhost (Oovee) said:

Usually for land vehicles, it's turning radius you see on the spec sheet. Because that's what's useful to the drivers when they estimate their trajectory around a street corner or other obstacle.

That's it! Imagine you drive out of a garage and turn the wheels maximal. This general turn radius lets you know where a parallel garage could be placed to enter it after U-turning from the 1st garage. But, believing the mentioned site trucksreview.ru, what's called "Spurkreis" at the Wiki graphics, for the Kraz 255 amounts of 13,5m. As you see, the case isn't as easy as it might look like.

Besides, examples of the Kraz or the 133 are difficult because they have 2 rear driving axles, that don't cover the same distance when vehicle is turning. Because they're fixed to the frame (together in a leaf springed carriage), it causes the 1st rear axle to "drift" a bit to the inside and the 2nd one - a bit to the outside of turn circle. So I actually don't know what length should be considered for the calculations.

Edited by carlito244rs
  • Like 1

Chernobyl's localized strings are in ChernobylDLC.zip/strings/ .
If you go there you'll see the text is there, but somehow doesn't show up ingame. This will be fixed in an upcoming patch (it's an encoding issue: UTF8 was used instead of UTF16).