Oovee® Games

9 hours ago, Mexican_420 said:

@holbs The fuel locator can already be placed anywhere on a map, the dimensions can already be specified, and it has no associated model (just the white animated outline on the ground around the perimeter). This is a default game mechanic. The barrels or cistern or whatever model the mapmaker chooses to place near the locator is for purely aesthetic purposes. As LocalHost stated above, however, a fuel locator will have an unlimited fuel supply.

Basically, a limited amount of fuel using the locator is not possible, which was why I opted to use a trailer instead (since it is possible to specify the amount of fuel it can contain) and it can also be placed almost anywhere on a map. The 100L value shown in the clip I posted above was just an arbitrary value I put in during testing, but it can be adjusted to any value within the limits of the game (as little as 1L, not sure if there's an absolute maximum capacity). Also, since the editor allows the mapmaker to adjust the percentage of this maximum capacity contained in the trailer when it's placed on the map, the option for partially empty barrels exists as well.

In a nutshell, there's no way to make it so that you can just drive up next to the barrel to refuel (as this would involve using the locator, see above) AND limit the amount of fuel available at the same time. These 2 options are mutually exclusive (one or the other, but not both).

I wasn't sure of using a Locator...that's okay.  We can use the drum as the source.

I'd still prefer a max of 35L of fuel for each drum(...this is still supposed to be only for a refueling emergency).  It's too bad we couldn't limit it to a one-time use tho'.  Possible?

Did you get the .PDF or do you already have a copy?

holbs

On 7/16/2019 at 7:20 PM, Mexican_420 said:

I can set it to 35L capacity, and,  since it's an immobile trailer, once it's empty it's empty because you can't drag it off to a fuel station to refill it.  :)

Yes, I have a copy of the PDF.

That sounds just about what is needed for the editor.  Is it possible to place more than 1x per map though?

54 minutes ago, Mexican_420 said:

Sure is. You could theoretically place as many as the game's limits allow.

Everything sounds good. 

I was still wondering about the size of the fuel container.  I know 35L is a bit too much for a red, plastic type container and that the barrel in the vid might be a bit large for our purposes.  Maybe making the barrel about 1/2 or 2/3 the size?  I think you know what I mean.

Could you maybe describe to me simply what happens when a truck "discovers" one of these containers along a road and how the truck would get the fuel into their truck?  I'm not familiar enough with the work you are doing, this is why I asked for help on this project.  If it works the way it should, I think it will be used by a lot of map-makers on future maps instead of having to place the stock fuel locators all around a map.  I don't use custom items at all in my maps, but I sure would consider offering it with my future maps.

I really don't want to get too picky on all this, but if we are going to offer this to the rest of the map-makers out there, it will have to work correctly. 

I really appreciate the time and effort you're putting into this.  We both can learn a lot from it.

holbs

1 hour ago, holbs said:

Everything sounds good. 

I was still wondering about the size of the fuel container.  I know 35L is a bit too much for a red, plastic type container and that the barrel in the vid might be a bit large for our purposes.  Maybe making the barrel about 1/2 or 2/3 the size?  I think you know what I mean.

Do you mean reduce the PHYSICAL dimensions of the barrel model (or use an entirely different type of container model), or just reducing the capacity? Exaggerating the capacity of the container is probably a better approach considering the fuel consumption rates in-game are also exaggerated in comparison to real-world numbers...

Regarding usage, it works exactly the same way as the default fuel cistern trailers (except that you can't move it). So you'd back your truck up to the barrel, pull up the "advanced" menu, attach the barrel-trailer the same way you would attach any other trailer, select the barrel-trailer's fuel option from the list, then select which truck you want to refuel.

Edited by Mexican_420
On 7/18/2019 at 12:14 PM, Mexican_420 said:

Do you mean reduce the PHYSICAL dimensions of the barrel model (or use an entirely different type of container model), or just reducing the capacity? Exaggerating the capacity of the container is probably a better approach considering the fuel consumption rates in-game are also exaggerated in comparison to real-world numbers...

Regarding usage, it works exactly the same way as the default fuel cistern trailers (except that you can't move it). So you'd back your truck up to the barrel, pull up the "advanced" menu, attach the barrel-trailer the same way you would attach any other trailer, select the barrel-trailer's fuel option from the list, then select which truck you want to refuel.

The "action" seems the way we have to go.

I meant the physical size of the barrel.  Since I only seen it in the vid, it's kind of hard to tell the size of it.

Maybe somewhere around 18" in dia. and 2'-0" high?  Does that sound about right.  I don't want it be the same size as a 55gal barrel - lol.  I really won't be able to tell until I see it next to a truck.

Edited by holbs

The barrel model in the video clip is the 1:1 dimensions of a 55gal barrel. I could literally just scale down the barrel to make it physically smaller, but depending on the visual look you're after I could also change out the barrel model for a different type of container altogether. @holbs  Your call I guess.  :)

9 minutes ago, Mexican_420 said:

The barrel model in the video clip is the 1:1 dimensions of a 55gal barrel. I could literally just scale down the barrel to make it physically smaller, but depending on the visual look you're after I could also change out the barrel model for a different type of container altogether. @holbs  Your call I guess.  :)

I'm guessing maybe 50-60% of the vid size?  I'm guessing here.  The barrel itself looks fine to use, just a bit large for 35L.

• Like 1
On 7/22/2019 at 11:06 AM, Mexican_420 said:

@holbs

I have an idea, I'll try to hammer it out hopefully by the end of the week, if not within the next few days.

http://www.oovee.co.uk/forum/topic/10835-is-there-a-way-to-make-a-fuel-tank-addon-that-doesnt-need-to-be-filled/

Did you see this?  I think it's the 11th message down.  I wasn't sure if you read this or not.

@holbs That's basically what I did, except instead of making it a truck, it's a trailer. Instead of messing around with this "ghost wheel" stuff, I just made the wheels tiny and hid them underneath the mesh for the barrel. Different means, similar end...