Oovee® Games

Here's one for all you modders out there:

How about having a 55 gallon barrel (s) (...or its liter equiv.) filled with fuel available to place at different places on a custom map so vehicles could get a lil' needed boost in their tank's level?

I know the barrel would have to be a created as a model, but I have no  idea how to make it function on a map.  It/they sure would be handy for areas where placing a fuel locator just would be too hard to get to, or whatever.  The barrel, once emptied to a truck's tank,  could maybe be able to be picked up by a truck and refilled at a Garage and possibly dropped off later where the driver wants it.

As most of you know, I don't use modded items at all on any of my maps, but I think I would use these if the were available.

Possible?

6 hours ago, Mexican_420 said:

Might be a thing if you were to base it on a cistern trailer, if you based it on a fuel station it would have to be stationary...

Got me thinking now...  lol

ok...here:  A drum of fuel (whatever size) a map creator could place wherever they wanted to for drivers low on fuel.  JUST SUGGESTIONS!

a) I'd suggest no more than 30-50 liters.

b) A driver couldn't pick it up.

c) Drivers with a fuel cistern could refuel it (???).

d) No fuel Overlay would be needed, just a notice it was there and how much was in it.

If you were to set it up as a "truck" that was immobile (probably a few different ways to pull this off, similar to the movable bridges I've seen on some maps) with a permanent cistern attached, then point c above could be the sticky bit, since I don't believe you can transfer fuel from one cistern to another. For accuracy's sake, a 55gallon drum/barrel would hold roughly 208 liters.

Edited by Mexican_420
3 hours ago, Mexican_420 said:

If you were to set it up as a "truck" that was immobile (probably a few different ways to pull this off, similar to the movable bridges I've seen on some maps) with a permanent cistern attached, then point c above could be the sticky bit, since I don't believe you can transfer fuel from one cistern to another. For accuracy's sake, a 55gallon drum/barrel would hold roughly 208 liters.

Hang on...I'm trying to get a better description text file with my  ideas for you to look at.  These will only be requests, not demands of any sort on my part.  I'm also trying to think of options for this mod as a ST Editor user, plus as a ST Player

I suppose the way to accomplish all this is with a .xml file(?).  If so, I will try to detail my "requests" the best I can.  If you are actually considering trying  to make this happen, feel free to contact me with any of your own ideas or changes of mine.

I'll get back to you as soon as I get the text file ready.

Ken

"holbs"

• Like 1

*** UPDATED*** 6/26/19

ACCESSIBLE FUEL DRUM IDEAS
    Note:  These are only my personal ideas, not requirements.

I'd like to see:

FOR USE IN THE EDITOR

a)  An old, rusty 50 liter fuel drum (...or whatever a standard liter drum holds)  Is there a drum like this in any Model Libraries already available?  (We would have to get permission to use it from the Author if there are any)

b)  The drum(s) should be able to be placed wherever the map creator wants it/them.
(...within the Editor's restrictions, of course)

c)  Opinion needed:  Should we limit the drum(s) to 1x  a max of 5x per map?  If not, how many do you think?

d)  I think any drum should be stationary (non-movable) and indestructable.

e)  It would be nice if the drum itself could be refueled by any type of fuel tanker.  I guess it can't be done anyways.

f)  I suppose a Fuel Locator would be needed for this to work.  I'd like to see the Locator to be as small as possible, non-adjustable and yet functional.

g)  Any hoses or hand pumps grafix would not be necessary on the drum...unless it already comes with one.

h)  Opinion needed:  Can some sort of small, pop-up window show when a player enters the Locator's boundaries?  This window would contain some sort of list(?) of the desired amount of fuel a player could choose in 5 liter increments.  This way they could conserve some fuel for later use.  I think all drivers would use 100% of available fuel.

j)  Is is possible that when a player uses the F1 key for the overhead map, the drums (...when clicked on) would show along with the remaining fuel for each drum placed?  Not neccesary.

k)  If a drum is empty when a player enters the boundaries, the pop-up would still appear, but with a "0" liters available for that drum.  If a drum is empty, there shouldn't be any fuel available.  Not neccesary.

l)  Opinion needed:  Since the drum would be stationary, should we use if for a "winch point"?

m)  Instructions for using the drum(s) correctly should be added to any instructions along with how to insert this mod into the game files correctly.

PLAYERS ACCESSING THE DRUM IN THE GAME

a)  A player would locate a fuel drum from the F1 overhead map, or else randomly come across one.

Could it/they be made invisible on the F1 map? 

b)  There, they would enter the Locator's boundaries for fuel and select as usual . the amount of fuel wanted from a pop-up "listing" (...some sort of meter graphic) of the fuel amounts still available for that drum.  (...not all players would choose 100% of the available fuel)

c)  After obtaining the fuel wanted, they would just drive off to where they want (...the same as a regular fuel stop).  After leaving the boundaries, the "listing" for the drum would disappear.  Not practical.

d)  As above in the Editor section, if a player is driving a truck with some sort of a fuel tank onboard with fuel available, a player would have the option of replenishing the drum's fuel, up to its max capacity.  I guess it can't be done, but that's ok....I didn't want them for an endless fuel supply anyways.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These options are only what they are - OPTIONS.  We could keep the function of the drum(s) very simple or, if possible, add some or all of what I have listed.  
Personally, I think this idea would be a neat addition to the game.  Of couse, some map creators could put too many on a map (...this is where the number of drums - "c"  option above in the "FOR USE IN THE EDITOR" section comes in to play).

I want to thank you for showing interest in this idea.  Any questions or ideas of your own are always welcome for discussion.

Ken
(holbs)

Edited by holbs
Update

Mexican_420,

Just to make it sure you understand....I replied with the suggestions above because I thought you might be interested in going forward with this idea of mine.

If you'd rather not, please let me know and I'll stop contacting you on this subject - with no hard feelings.  I'm guessing it might be a bit harder than I thought at the beginning.

Ken

(holbs)

On 6/24/2019 at 8:22 PM, Mexican_420 said:

Might be a thing if you were to base it on a cistern trailer, if you based it on a fuel station it would have to be stationary...

Got me thinking now...  lol

https://free3d.com/3d-model/fuel-tank-6468.html

https://p3dm.ru/files/technique/other_teh/12545-cistern.html

Here's basically what I think is needed.  I don't know how difficult it would be to resize it to say....4' high x 6' long (?)

If this tank idea ever goes any further, I'd be glad to purchase the file if needed.

Ken

Edited by holbs

@holbs

I was thinking of something more along these lines:

https://www.laballey.com/products/n-pentane-55-gallon-drum

I could model something like this for nothing $$   :)

I've been getting my truck ready for MVI by the end of the month, so I'm a bit busy right now. I was hoping to get a few more eyes on the topic, but I can give it a college try in a little while if you're not in a crazy rush to get it done. If anybody wants to pound it out in the meantime though, it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all...  lol

Edited by Mexican_420

@holbs I'm getting there. I set it up as a trailer with the same attachment point as the Kamaz Fuel cart, and a ridiculous mass value (effectively rendering it immobile, even a 7310 with 4WD/difflock engaged will spin all 8 wheels trying to drag it!). The drawback to this approach is that it can only be used by trucks that can attach that type of trailer, and you actually have to attach it to the truck in order to get the fuel from it. Thoughts?

12 hours ago, Mexican_420 said:

a ridiculous mass value (effectively rendering it immobile, even a 7310 with 4WD/difflock engaged will spin all 8 wheels trying to drag it!)

For Havok, a mass value of 0 means a static body impossible to move without teleporting it (ie rescue to garage).

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Localhost (Oovee) said:

For Havok, a mass value of 0 means a static body impossible to move without teleporting it (ie rescue to garage).

About this idea...

I would like an object to hold approx. 25L of fuel and be able to be "emptied" once.

Any ideas on your end for this?

Edited by holbs
diff. volume
On 7/2/2019 at 9:08 AM, Mexican_420 said:

@holbs I'm getting there. I set it up as a trailer with the same attachment point as the Kamaz Fuel cart, and a ridiculous mass value (effectively rendering it immobile, even a 7310 with 4WD/difflock engaged will spin all 8 wheels trying to drag it!). The drawback to this approach is that it can only be used by trucks that can attach that type of trailer, and you actually have to attach it to the truck in order to get the fuel from it. Thoughts?

For your above message...(...refer to Localhost's post above too)

...also this link on here - 

Maybe just adding a "fuel canister" to a player's truck would work okay???

a)  Maybe instead of a "trailer setup", we could set it as a "fuel source (tank)" set at a max of 25L siphon each visit?  (...again...custom graphic needed for  it).  If someone wanted to keep refueling at 25L a bunch of times, it would be their choice.  Not what I really wanted, but I guess it would serve its purpose too.  (SEE C)

b)  Per a 25L "tank" - In the actual game, players can draw a selected amount out of a fuel cistern (tank) without "attaching" to it.  A small LOCATOR might be needed tho'???  I see how a custom "tanker truck" could work - when it's empty, it's empty from then on, like I'd like.  What happens if someone only takes 20L out?  Would the tank still have 5L in it?  (just wondering)  I guess that would be ok too.

c)  About your message above - Is it possible for a "fuel cart itself" to have more than one attachment point on it (...for all the versions of trucks)?  If it could, it might solve most of the problem here.  Is there such a thing as a "Generic hitch" all trucks could use???

d) Idea:  I also had thought about how neat it would be if we could somehow come up with a CUSTOM CLOAKING GRAPHIC, just for this idea?...or is there only one working cloaking graphic allowed per game?  Maybe a spinning fuel canister).

e)  I just remembered that a "fuel Locator" doesn't really need any type of graphic for it to work.  The graphic is just eye candy.  Limiting the dispencing amount would probably be a problem tho'.  Would it be possible to have the Locator(s) we need to be a "custom" type where we could set  its own parameters and limits?

You are getting close!  -  I'm sorry about not being able to code in this game like you can, but I'm limited to just creating ideas and questions - lol.

Ken

Edited by holbs
...edited

a) If the fuel source is set up using the Locator as the basis, I don't believe there is a way to set the amount of fuel dispensed per instance without changing game code.

b) As far as I'm aware, fuel contained in add-ons (trailers and cisterns that attach directly to the truck) push fuel to the selected vehicle. You first select the vehicle with the fuel, then specify which vehicle gets that fuel (basically the exact opposite of what you suggested).

c) The trailer's code says "I use this specific attachment point" and the truck must have a matching attachment socket in order to connect. I can experiment with multiple different attachment designations on the trailer end (I considered this as well, and just opted for the one that would seem compatible with the majority of trucks).

d) I've not had any luck with cloaking in general when it comes to Spintires, but that could be a result of the editor currently being broken in many respects.

e) Similar issues to a). Devs may have some input on this in the future, though.

As far as my knowledge of the game's code, it's all trial-and-error or self-taught or gleaned from others in the community with a much more extensive understanding of it than I have.  :)

Your options are:

i)Using locators, basically a fuel station with a different looks, but inevitably an infinite fuel supply.
ii)A small invisible truck with an addon that looks like a barrel. You won't be able to replenish the barrel from a cistern, players will have to winch to the barrel and drag it to a fuel station to refill it. Might not be a bad thing. You'll also have to switch to the barrel-truck and start its engine before refueling.
iii)A cistern trailer, but there is no universal socket, and you'll never cover every possible socket name modders can come up with.

Cloaks have nothing to do with fuel. There is currently no way to gain fuel when removing a cloak.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Localhost (Oovee) said:

Your options are:

i)Using locators, basically a fuel station with a different looks, but inevitably an infinite fuel supply.
ii)A small invisible truck with an addon that looks like a barrel. You won't be able to replenish the barrel from a cistern, players will have to winch to the barrel and drag it to a fuel station to refill it. Might not be a bad thing. You'll also have to switch to the barrel-truck and start its engine before refueling.
iii)A cistern trailer, but there is no universal socked, and you'll never cover every possible socket name modders can come up with.

Cloaks have nothing to do with fuel. There is currently no way to gain fuel when removing a cloak.

Edited by holbs
On 7/3/2019 at 3:32 PM, Mexican_420 said:

a) If the fuel source is set up using the Locator as the basis, I don't believe there is a way to set the amount of fuel dispensed per instance without changing game code.

b) As far as I'm aware, fuel contained in add-ons (trailers and cisterns that attach directly to the truck) push fuel to the selected vehicle. You first select the vehicle with the fuel, then specify which vehicle gets that fuel (basically the exact opposite of what you suggested).

c) The trailer's code says "I use this specific attachment point" and the truck must have a matching attachment socket in order to connect. I can experiment with multiple different attachment designations on the trailer end (I considered this as well, and just opted for the one that would seem compatible with the majority of trucks).

d) I've not had any luck with cloaking in general when it comes to Spintires, but that could be a result of the editor currently being broken in many respects.

e) Similar issues to a). Devs may have some input on this in the future, though.

As far as my knowledge of the game's code, it's all trial-and-error or self-taught or gleaned from others in the community with a much more extensive understanding of it than I have.  :)

Somewhere on here (Oovee) someone stated that a Russian mapper created some sort of "small refuling" option.  I might have to try to find the message again and see if I can locate the guy.  If after all of this trial and error, it comes down to we just can't get an easy solution - we can just mark it up as "Giving it the ol' try!"

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Localhost (Oovee) said:

Your options are:

iii)A cistern trailer, but there is no universal socked, and you'll never cover every possible socket name modders can come up with.

Thanks for the info...

Maybe you get your guys to create some sort of 25-35L "container" and add it to an Update for map creators - ???

On 7/3/2019 at 3:32 PM, Mexican_420 said:

The file I mentioned is the "UAZ SPOTLIGHT" on here.  The Author is VORKIR.  It was listed as one of the latest files downloaded.  Maybe you could contact him and ask how he accomplished the 25L invisible fuel canister.  You would understand what he would talk about - ???

Mexican_420,

OK - maybe this below....It's not exactly what I wanted, but if it works I suppose it would be okay.

1.  A small barrel or plastic type container (approx. 2' dia and 4' high) "model" could be set wherever the map's author wanted to place it/them (unlimited number).  It would just be "eye-candy".

2.  Each container's max capacity would be set at 25 liters.  A player would have to do multiple visits to get more fuel.

3.  A small, but large enough to "work" "LOCATER" would need to be placed next to each of the "fuel stop(s)" for players to drive to and over.

4.  Unlimited refills would be permitted.  (...a player could actually refill his/her tank completely if they wanted to take the time).

From some of your earlier replies, it sounded if you basically already had this working.  Maybe sometime later, we could find out how to make it a "one-time-50 liter" refueling stop (???).

I really appreciate you working on this and, of course, both of our Oovee "names" would be listed as developers.

Ken

Edited by holbs
edited #2 & #4

@holbs

Yes, I do have a working "proof of concept" done in Mudrunner (I only used the MR editor because, as previously mentioned, the current ST editor is flakey af) but the conversion to ST should be straightforward. As a caveat to that statement, however, I have only tested it in the Proving Grounds so far...

I'll see what I can cobble up as far as some video of it in action, and update the thread accordingly.  :)

Edited by Mexican_420
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/11hc1tvzb5j0kws/mudrunner_editor_pdf.7z?dl=0

If it gives and error, replace the ending "0" with a "1" and retry.

Have this .pdf?  It explains the editor for MudRunner, but most of it applies to Spintires Editor also.  It may help you create the fuel thingy we are chatting about (...around page 200 - +).

The file contains a few xtra files with it...I'm not sure if they came with the original .pdf or not??? 

The barrel looks okay, but you still have to create an Custom Fuel LOCATOR ???  which can have a max of 35 liters.

holbs

Edited by holbs

@holbs The fuel locator can already be placed anywhere on a map, the dimensions can already be specified, and it has no associated model (just the white animated outline on the ground around the perimeter). This is a default game mechanic. The barrels or cistern or whatever model the mapmaker chooses to place near the locator is for purely aesthetic purposes. As LocalHost stated above, however, a fuel locator will have an unlimited fuel supply.

Basically, a limited amount of fuel using the locator is not possible, which was why I opted to use a trailer instead (since it is possible to specify the amount of fuel it can contain) and it can also be placed almost anywhere on a map. The 100L value shown in the clip I posted above was just an arbitrary value I put in during testing, but it can be adjusted to any value within the limits of the game (as little as 1L, not sure if there's an absolute maximum capacity). Also, since the editor allows the mapmaker to adjust the percentage of this maximum capacity contained in the trailer when it's placed on the map, the option for partially empty barrels exists as well.

In a nutshell, there's no way to make it so that you can just drive up next to the barrel to refuel (as this would involve using the locator, see above) AND limit the amount of fuel available at the same time. These 2 options are mutually exclusive (one or the other, but not both).

Edited by Mexican_420