Oovee® Games

The Truth Behind Spintires: the Original Game

345.jpg

A message from Spintires Visionary, Zane Saxton

Dear Spintires Community,

I know how frustrating it’s been for you not hearing from me or receiving any updates for Spintires, and I’m sorry there’s been such a long delay.

I’m pleased to announce that we’re working on an update to Spintires, reinstating previously removed features, and adding new features and content. The first update is coming in April and will be followed by further regular updates, along with continued community support. 

Some of you have asked about the defamatory statements that appeared online after the extremely successful release of Spintires in June 2014 which led to false rumours, speculation and outright lies about Oovee Game Studios.

I’m not going to enter into a public mudslinging contest over this, but I do want to address some of the fallacies behind the original Spintires indie hit. 

#1 Pavel was underpaid / not paid by Oovee Game Studios
FALSE. Pavel was paid multimillion dollars by Oovee Game Studios for the work he did on Spintires per his contractual entitlement.

#2 Spintires is Pavel’s game
FALSE. Pavel assigned his rights in all his work to Oovee Game Studios. Pavel was the lead programmer and worked for Oovee Game Studios on the development of Spintires. 

#3 Pavel was the sole developer of Spintires
FALSE. Pavel was one of many people who contributed and worked on Spintires over the years to bring the ultimate off-road simulation experience to fans. 

#4 Oovee Game Studios was just the publisher
FALSE. Oovee Game Studios are the development studio and co-creators of Spintires. Our publisher was IMGN (although we did self-publish on Steam like you can publish your own book on Amazon).

#5 Oovee Game Studios abandoned the original Spintires game
FALSE. In June 2015 Saber Interactive approached Oovee Game Studios. This resulted in Oovee Game Studios granting certain rights in the game to Saber under a licence agreement. All rights in the game remained with Oovee. Pavel left Oovee Game Studios and went to work for Saber. 

Oovee Game Studios is currently working on updates to Spintires which it will release in the near future.

#6 Spintires is owned by Saber Interactive / Focus Home Interactive
FALSE. Oovee Game Studios are the sole owner of Spintires, including all code, visual aspects and assets, and the trademark.   

#7 Mudrunner / Mudrunner 2 are a different / separate games
FALSE. Spintires: Mudrunner, Spintires Mudrunner American Wilds, and Mudrunner 2 are all derivatives of the original Spintires game, as acknowledged by the community, who associate these games with the original Spintires game. 

What’s next for the Original Spintires game?

All this drama risks overshadowing a simple truth about the original Spintires game: it’s THE ultimate off-roading game. Putting all the drama to one side, the only real problem with the original Spintires game was its finishing touches. Starting with the update in April, and with many more to follow, this will be addressed, making Spintires a much more refined product than the first release, and as we continue to refine and develop Spintires moving forward we’ll also be adding new content and features to bring you MASSIVE value. 

We have some exciting announcements to follow, and if you’d like the inside scoop on the latest developments of Spintires, then join our official Spintires Facebook Group 

Sincerely, 

Zane Saxton - Spintires Visionary

P.S. Let’s move forward and make the original Spintires game great again, just let me know in the comments below how you’d like to see the original Spintires game grow and evolve.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A message from Spintires Visionary, Zane Saxton Dear Spintires Community, I know how frustrating it’s been for you not hearing from me or receiving any updates for Spintires, and I’m sorry t

I'm just busy working on the updates, management and planning so don't worry  We've got some very exciting new features to share with you all soon!

I wouldn’t adjust things too much because it’ll all be altered again soon. 

Posted Images

All the main aspects have been covered in regards to what needs to be done, eg. Remove Fog, Add Cockpit view, Add more modern 4wds and trucks, A few more larger levels with rock climbing, less mud more hard ground with deep ruts etc. Crawler tracks. and some more missions, eg. rescue, stadium truck style racing circuits, hill climbs.

Other than that, Thanks for an awesome game. looking forward to what the future bring. 

• Like 1

I havent logged into this account for countless years, i think many of us knew this, if not i know more now.

Weird to look back at all that drama..

-John

edit: added "now" at sentence one instead of "than".

Edited by MultiGamerClub

Really glad that you guys are back, and thank you for clearing the record. Sorry that you were so unfairly put through the wringer by the media, and I’m glad you’re now able to draw a line in the sand with this statement and move forward with development of Spintires to make it great again. 

"

FALSE. In June 2015 Saber Interactive approached Oovee Game Studios. This resulted in Oovee Game Studios granting certain rights in the game to Saber under a licence agreement. All rights in the game remained with Oovee. Pavel left Oovee Game Studios and went to work for Saber. 

Oovee Game Studios is currently working on updates to Spintires which it will release in the near future"

If this is the case, I'm curious why the game has been stagnant for so long while Mudrunner has continued to be developed?

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Zane Saxton - Oovee said:

FALSE. Pavel was one of many people who contributed and worked on Spintires over the years to bring the ultimate off-road simulation experience to fans. 

In the credits of Spintires, we can see that many people worked on the game but Pavel is the only one listed as developer.

I hope that there are many developers now at Oovee to add a lot of functionalities to the game.

1 hour ago, PicSoul said:

"

FALSE. In June 2015 Saber Interactive approached Oovee Game Studios. This resulted in Oovee Game Studios granting certain rights in the game to Saber under a licence agreement. All rights in the game remained with Oovee. Pavel left Oovee Game Studios and went to work for Saber. 

Oovee Game Studios is currently working on updates to Spintires which it will release in the near future"

If this is the case, I'm curious why the game has been stagnant for so long while Mudrunner has continued to be developed?

Yes! this! Thanks for your clarifications. Could you just tell why the game had no updates and not a word were spoken for so long? I think this is what the community wanna know.

I'm happy the game is back to life tho. Keep it up.

7 hours ago, Zane Saxton - Oovee said:

FALSE. In June 2015 Saber Interactive approached Oovee Game Studios. This resulted in Oovee Game Studios granting certain rights in the game to Saber under a licence agreement. All rights in the game remained with Oovee. Pavel left Oovee Game Studios and went to work for Saber. 

Oovee Game Studios is currently working on updates to Spintires which it will release in the near future.

So reading between the lines here chaps I take it that those "certain rights granted in the game to Saber" were actually for them to update and enhance the original game and not for them to release Mudrunner as a separate game. And that is why you hadn't done updates in the meantime but now you are because that licence agreement wasn't adhered to by Saber. 

Is this why Focus / Saber have over the last month or so scrubbed out all references to Spintires from all their marketing materials, social media, changed their handles, thumbnails, box art etc? I'm guessing this is still the subject of an ongoing legal dispute and for legal reasons Oovee probably can't say much more than what you have at this time.

Anyway, I'm just glad you guys are back and able to develop your OWN game again and I'm looking forward to the updates, and new content you're going to be releasing...

9 minutes ago, MikhailIvanov said:

So reading between the lines here chaps I take it that those "certain rights granted in the game to Saber" were actually for them to update and enhance the original game and not for them to release Mudrunner as a separate game. And that is why you hadn't done updates in the meantime but now you are because that licence agreement wasn't adhered to by Saber. 

Is this why Focus / Saber have over the last month or so scrubbed out all references to Spintires from all their marketing materials, social media, changed their handles, thumbnails, box art etc? I'm guessing this is still the subject of an ongoing legal dispute and for legal reasons Oovee probably can't say much more than what you have at this time.

Anyway, I'm just glad you guys are back and able to develop your OWN game again and I'm looking forward to the updates, and new content you're going to be releasing...

I suspect we will never get the complete story. Just the normal back and forth we've grown used to. 

That being said, it still seems odd to say "All rights in the game remained with Oovee." and say the game wasn't abandoned but give no reason why the game has been sitting collecting dust. Even if your theory is correct, why did development stop for Spintires®: The Original Game? That's the important question I would like answered. 

I mean, who's to say after they push out this update, the game doesn't go back in the closet? I guess it's a trust issue at this point. I hope, I really do, that this can all be put behind us and we the players can continue to enjoy our off-roading games.

21 minutes ago, PicSoul said:

I suspect we will never get the complete story. Just the normal back and forth we've grown used to. 

That being said, it still seems odd to say "All rights in the game remained with Oovee." and say the game wasn't abandoned but give no reason why the game has been sitting collecting dust. Even if your theory is correct, why did development stop for Spintires®: The Original Game? That's the important question I would like answered. 

I mean, who's to say after they push out this update, the game doesn't go back in the closet? I guess it's a trust issue at this point. I hope, I really do, that this can all be put behind us and we the players can continue to enjoy our off-roading games.

"All rights in the game remained with Oovee" is just legal terminology for they own it all but they gave a license to saber to do certain things (meaning there were also things saber coudn't do), so development most likely stopped for legal / licence reasons and now those reasons are gone. I don't think Oovee will say more on this. Personally I think their statement is pretty comprehensive and draws a line in the sand so Oovee can get on and develop Spintires as it should have been without all the drama hanging over them. If they do put it back in the closet we don't lose anything as the update is free anyway. For me the important thing is that they're able to develop the game again, and we can all get on and enjoy more refined version moving forward.  

Thank you for at long last publishing this and resuming work on The Original Game! As others have said, there are still some points which could use clarification...

Notably, why updates for the original game ceased and why you completely disappeared, and why you're now back, at the same time as Saber is quietly erasing all references to the Spintires name... Are we to take it that Saber in some way breached its license, which prevented you from working on the game, and has resulted in the license being terminated?

One further point which could benefit from further explicit clarification... Did you, Oovee, have the original idea for Spintires, and then recruited Pavel to build it?

It's always been considered, I though, that Pavel was independent and had the original idea. But now I see once again my perception was wrong – the Spintires concept was always your idea, before Pavel was involved?

That said, I accept that you don't want to dwell on this any longer and it's great to have you back.

I freely admit, as I've said elsewhere, that in the absence of information over the past few years, I've taken the popular line and viewed Oovee as the guilty party. I apologise. Zane, it's good to have you back and posting frequently again like the early days of Spintires...

This whole sorry affair just goes to show that no matter what everything looks like on the surface, the depths might be much murkier.

Here's to Spintires, and at long last the next update!

As for what I'd like to see... More trucks, more maps, and more hardcore features! My main wishlist item, although I don't expect it to ever happen, would be proper engine/gearbox/tyreFFB simulation though, to make driving with a wheel worthwhile...

11 hours ago, Zane Saxton - Oovee said:

...as we continue to refine and develop Spintires moving forward we’ll also be adding new content and features to bring you MASSIVE value. 

P.S. Let’s move forward and make the original Spintires game great again, just let me know in the comments below how you’d like to see the original Spintires game grow and evolve.

i'd rather have you either grow and evolve into a new game or rebuild/update the engine from the ground up to support DX11/12, 64bit executable, better lighting, actual normal/displacement maps, huge draw distance etc. because let's be honest, the 8 year old engine really starts to show its age.

also hopefully more objectives than transporting logs, but i'm sure you know all the community demands like offroad trailing/checkpoints, tracked vehicles, snow/weather...

can't wait to see a little competition between Spintires and Mudrunner to see who can come up with the "better" game 😀

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Akbalder said:

In the credits of Spintires, we can see that many people worked on the game but Pavel is the only one listed as developer.

I hope that there are many developers now at Oovee to add a lot of functionalities to the game.

In the context of developer in the credits it means core / lead programmer, there were other programmers too who worked on things like LUA etc. and not forgetting the 3D modellers / artists, sound engineers etc. Lots of different types of “development” skills involved by various people that made Spintires possible. 

my memory is not what it used to be, but....

i think the whole Pavel being sole dev was a misunderstanding people got from that he was the one who came up with deformable terrain. to make it a sellable product (a game) is where others were needed. at least this is my understanding. i remember years ago before the tech demo (2009 maybe 10?), seeing a few short vids on an old forum (1nsane Heat Forum) showing basicly what i will call spintires pre alpha (demo vids for Pavels class project?). i sure wish i could find those vids again. 

@Zane Saxton - Oovee would this be about right?

Edited by 8up local
On 3/29/2019 at 9:02 AM, Zane Saxton - Oovee said:

345.jpg

A message from Spintires Visionary, Zane Saxton

Dear Spintires Community,

I know how frustrating it’s been for you not hearing from me or receiving any updates for Spintires, and I’m sorry there’s been such a long delay.

I’m pleased to announce that we’re working on an update to Spintires, reinstating previously removed features, and adding new features and content. The first update is coming in April and will be followed by further regular updates, along with continued community support. 

Some of you have asked about the defamatory statements that appeared online after the extremely successful release of Spintires in June 2014 which led to false rumours, speculation and outright lies about Oovee Game Studios.

I’m not going to enter into a public mudslinging contest over this, but I do want to address some of the fallacies behind the original Spintires indie hit. 

#1 Pavel was underpaid / not paid by Oovee Game Studios
FALSE. Pavel was paid multimillion dollars by Oovee Game Studios for the work he did on Spintires per his contractual entitlement.

#2 Spintires is Pavel’s game
FALSE. Pavel assigned his rights in all his work to Oovee Game Studios. Pavel was the lead programmer and worked for Oovee Game Studios on the development of Spintires. 

#4 Oovee Game Studios was just the publisher
FALSE. Oovee Game Studios are the development studio and co-creators of Spintires. Our publisher was IMGN (although we did self-publish on Steam like you can publish your own book on Amazon).

#6 Spintires is owned by Saber Interactive / Focus Home Interactive
FALSE. Oovee Game Studios are the sole owner of Spintires, including all code, visual aspects and assets, and the trademark.   

#7 Mudrunner / Mudrunner 2 are a different / separate games
FALSE. Spintires: Mudrunner, Spintires Mudrunner American Wilds, and Mudrunner 2 are all derivatives of the original Spintires game, as acknowledged by the community, who associate these games with the original Spintires game. 

What’s next for the Original Spintires game?

All this drama risks overshadowing a simple truth about the original Spintires game: it’s THE ultimate off-roading game. Putting all the drama to one side, the only real problem with the original Spintires game was its finishing touches. Starting with the update in April, and with many more to follow, this will be addressed, making Spintires a much more refined product than the first release, and as we continue to refine and develop Spintires moving forward we’ll also be adding new content and features to bring you MASSIVE value. 

We have some exciting announcements to follow, and if you’d like the inside scoop on the latest developments of Spintires, then join our official Spintires Facebook Group 

Sincerely, 

Zane Saxton - Spintires Visionary

Zane,

It's not the updates us "older" players worry about, I think that most of the concerns are likely to be this:  Will all (...or at least MOST) of the custom maps, trucks, items, etc. we've  developed on our own (which kept Spintires going over its short life) work with your announced updates . 

Personally, I've spent probably 2 years of my life creating new maps for the game.  I do not have MudRunner and do not plan to get it.  I like Spintires and will stay with it as long as it works for me.

Updates are fine, if they will actually enhance the game...not ruin it.

"holbs"

Edited by holbs
  • Like 1

@Oovee:

After you guys are done with the update you've got planned, and in the future when you guys feel it's complete, would you ever seriously consider releasing it as open source for the community to continue its development? If this game ever made it onto something like github I feel like it would really take off, with regard to its development, by all the dedicated fans we've had over the years.

All this idle time spintires has been sitting here over the years (and now there's an identical game out there without all the nerf'd features and on other platforms while it has been crickets here. Regardless of whether they remove "spintires" from the title doesn't change the fact that it's the same game). The many lack luster updates from the past we've seen here that feel like a slight variation rather than an improvement or an addition. I believe this community would really do it proud. Just think about it.

• Like 2