Oovee® Games

How to install the voto1979 library

How to install the voto1979 library

In order to play the maps from the Weekly Challenge Series by voto1979 and DPI Olesja River by Dexter Paris Industries or upcoming maps that will use this library please follow this guide …

STEP 1 – Download the libary

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0zNj6rbRYzFRUxyWW1HdHhoT1k/view

Unzip the downloaded package und you will find 3 other ZIPs inside.

Leave these 3 ZIPs untouched and copy or move them to system/programs (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/spintires

Screenshot of your Spintires folder before

screenshot_01.png?dl=1

Screenshot of your Spintires folder after copying/moving the 3 ZIP-files

screenshot_02.png?dl=1

STEP 2 – Modifying the config.xml

If you are using Spintires 1.3.7 or higher please scroll down first and read the instructions I added on April 18th 2020 …

Instructions for older versions

Locating the appdata folder

Press »Windows + R« on your keyboard, type %appdata%/Spintires and hit »Enter«

screenshot_03.png?dl=1

Other way is to navigate there manually:

First make sure Windows Explorer is showing hidden elements as the AppData folder is hidden by default …

screenshot_04.png?dl=1

Navigate to system/user/yourusername/appdata/roaming/spintires and you will find the config.xml

screenshot_05.png?dl=1

If you are not using a dedicated code editor, opening the config.xml with Windows own Editor will result in a mess like the next screenshot.

So I recommend installing Notepad++ for example. Download: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

screenshot_06.png?dl=1

After installing Notepad++ the config file looks much better 🙂

Inside you will find 4 MediaPath lines …

screenshot_07.png?dl=1

Now you have to replace this block of code lines

<MediaPath Path="Media" />
<MediaPath Path="Media.zip" />
<MediaPath Path="TextureCache.zip" DoPrepend="true" />
<MediaPath Path="MeshCache.zip" DoPrepend="true" />

with these code lines

<MediaPath Path="Media" />
<MediaPath Path="Media.zip" />
<MediaPath Path="Media_voto1979.zip" />
<MediaPath Path="TextureCache.zip" DoPrepend="true" />
<MediaPath Path="TextureCache_voto1979.zip" DoPrepend="true" />
<MediaPath Path="MeshCache.zip" DoPrepend="true" />
<MediaPath Path="MeshCache_voto1979.zip" DoPrepend="true" />

and your config.exe should look like that

screenshot_08.png?dl=1

Save the config.xml

You are done!

Now you are able to play the maps from the Weekly Challenge Series by voto1979, DPI Olesja River by Dexter Paris Industries and all upcoming maps that will use this library

Happy Offroading! 🙂

Edited by Dexter Paris
Updated link for library v3.0.0
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can we add the library to the editor so we can use it to build our own maps?

I would say no, for two reasons:

1. The Library is stored in Cache Format, so that the editor can't read the data. No clue how to conv ert it to the "old" format.

2. I don't know, if VOTO gave his permission to use his objects as "public domain".

I for myself are using some of his objects on my maps, because i got the ojects in a format the editor can work with from him and have his personal permission to use them.

Unfortunately he hasn't been around here for long time, and i doupt he will return any more. But i could try to get him and ask him, if he would agree, that you are using his objects on your map.

But not sure, if i'm able to get him, because lost contact long time oago.

• Like 1

First of all: Voto1979 has stopped playing and developing for Spintires by end of July 2016. He made me the new owner of all the assets he created. That means if you have any questions please get in touch with me first. Read more: http://www.oovee.co.uk/forum/topic/12936-weekly-challenge/?p=99045

Can we add the library to the editor so we can use it to build our own maps?

Currently all the assets included in the library are not free to use. You are allowed to use the library in order to play all maps from The Weekly Challenge Series by Voto1979 and also the map DPI Olesja River made by myself.

I would say no, for two reasons:

1. The Library is stored in Cache Format, so that the editor can't read the data. No clue how to conv ert it to the "old" format.

2. I don't know, if VOTO gave his permission to use his objects as "public domain".

I for myself are using some of his objects on my maps, because i got the ojects in a format the editor can work with from him and have his personal permission to use them.

Unfortunately he hasn't been around here for long time, and i doupt he will return any more. But i could try to get him and ask him, if he would agree, that you are using his objects on your map.

But not sure, if i'm able to get him, because lost contact long time oago.

Ad 1.: That is correct. This cache data format should help to prevent stealing and using content without permission. At the moment this solution is the best – and only – solution, as long Spintires does not support any kind of content protection.

Ad 2.: Voto1979 did not gave his permission to use his objects as public domain (see above).

It is also correct that Voto1979 gave his permission to Schlammspringer for using some of his assets. If you find any assets from the library on maps which are not made by Voto1979, Schlammspringer or Dexter Paris, then the are used defintily without permission!

What will happen to the library in future …

Since December 2016 I took a break from Spintires. 1700+ hours ingame, 900+ hours editing maps and the lack of progress by Oovee made me a little (spin-)tired. Despite of that I'm still a burning fan of this great game and will always be!

• The good message: I have some ideas and a roadmap for the enhancement of the library.
  • The bad message: Due to the additional hours of works it will depend on the further future of Spintires itself.

Anyway, at the moment I'm working on a project I started last year. So stay tuned …

Ok, I appreciate the need to stop people using material created by others, I too have experience of uploading mods, texture and objects for a couple of games (Rally Tropuy and GT Legends) and would be unhappy if people used it without consent.

If I had the time I might create things for spintires but am happy to wait for anything you people make, it's always great quality and well polished.

Now maybe i'll look at how to add objects to the editor myself........................

Hmmm, now what shall I start with 

Edited by Sharpo
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello Mudsters!

A user told me about problems running my maps which make use of the Voto1979-Library …

Since Spintires v1.3.7 you don’t have to add the media paths to the config.xml anymore!

In the main folder of Spintires you will find the new folder »User«. Inside that create a new XML file named »UserMediaPaths.xml« which need to contain the following lines:

<DataSources>
    <MediaPath Path="Media_voto1979.zip" />
    <MediaPath Path="MeshCache_voto1979.zip" />
    <MediaPath Path="TextureCache_voto1979.zip" />
</DataSources>

That’s it!

I recommend to remove the old entries from the config.xml (if they still exist) just to be safe.

I would be pleased about your comment and a rating of my maps at the download section. Thank you for playing my maps!  : - )

PS: Please note that my maps may look different from my screenshots since some original game assets like textures etc. have been modified by the developers …

• Like 3