Oovee® Games

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Justinktm

A "how to" on fan spin?

I've been looking around and so far only links I found have been closed or empty due to someone going on a rampage or something lol just curious as to how I can make the fan spin on a radiator or say a custom object I have made.

Topic Answered

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓Thank You Freeman For Explaining It Perfect! ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

http://www.oovee.co.uk/forum/topic/12855-a-how-to-on-fan-spin/?p=96765

Moved to modding section (seriously, this not general game support).

Use "the internet archive" to read a previous version, or just look at the updated useful links topic, all links should've been fixed there.

It looks like Tattoo's spinning fan tutorial didn't get archived before it was deleted. It was really well done, too. With all the web crawlers there sure is very little to look up in the cached copies of this forum.

If you fancy finding out how to do it yourself, I can point you in the right direction. Check out the hazard lights and specifically the part that makes them rotate. The K700 protector has rotating hazard lights, too, so you can check there as well. Or you could check out the old Raakry mod that Tattoo used for the tutorial.

I don't have much time during the week to write a tutorial, sorry. Perhaps on the weekend.

<Rotator RotationSpeed="6.2" ParentFrame="BoneRight" />

under <truck>, thats it

it will rotate around the y axis

The rotator, does spin around the Y axis, but it's easy to cheat.

Before exporting, point the fan straight down and apply its rotation, and then rotate it back before exporting, but do not apply the rotation after rotating it back. It will think the Y axis is sideways, and it will spin the right way in multiplayer too.

("point down" relative to the truck, as exporting from blender it has to be sideways. Yay blender for locked axis...)

In 3ds max i just rotated the pivot for a steering wheel which wasnt straight

only reason i did make a post for this is because the "new" links topic didnt have a working link for fan ive searched ALL over trying to get some sort of info and i couldnt find any

on an antenna i would put this code 

<Body

Collisions="Internal"
ImpactType="Foliage"
Mass="25"
ModelFrame="cb1_cdt"
>
<Constraint Cone="35" PivotOffset="0; 0.0; 0" Type="Ragdoll">
<AllMotor Damping="10" Spring="400" Type="Spring" />
</Constraint>
</Body>

and say i have a mesh that has 2 object the cdt and antenna would i make the model frame cdt? because i get error and it says cant find body "cdt"

Alrighty-then. 

So I was looking at my testrig and figured it could use an engine for this fan how-to:

npm5NMe.png

Originally, I was going to plant this large DT760 diesel engine in the testrig I found on sketchup but it wasn't cooperating upon export. It became a big mess. So I decided to rip the engine out of the zil130 truck and plant it in the testrig instead. I decided to add a little engine shake as well. So of particular note is where we place our pivot points of our bones or cdt's we use for this. I used cdt's but bones work too. I placed the engine pivot point in-line with the drive shaft to give a convincing engine shake effect. The rotator token will rotate around the y-axis as was already mentioned here, so the fan pivot point has the y-axis rotated to face forward. 

2LZPqQ6.png

The xml code can be seen in the above screenshot. The code highlighted in yellow is for the engine shake and the code highlighted in green is for the fan rotator. The fan rotated the wrong direction once I loaded it up in spintires, so I applied a negative value instead to reverse it. 
And here's the result: 

bCPVJM9.png

It's a bit late to say that but apparently there is a RotationAxis="(1; 0; 0)" parameter that you can use to change the rotation axis...

(I checked and it has an actual ingame effect)

Nice find, LocalHost. That's good to know.

It does? Huh, I need to use that instead, as it's a hassle to do rotation garbage.

Thanks Localhost!

Afaik RotationAxis was discussed in Tattoo's post. I tried some tricks with the webarchive and the forum backend but I'm unable to resurrect his topic :(

Thanks all. I'll be adding this to the useful links thread.