Oovee® Games

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ccszvnoel1

how do i make a glass tga

You simply need an image editor which supports alpha channel. I use paint.net for that.

Then you simply want to make your texture transparent. Take a look at one of the glass files supplied in texturesCache.zip.

Btw you don't need to have a full transparent image. You can define the alpha scale, which'll basically tell how transparent a pixel is. This way you can also add details to the glass.

My advice.. Make your first post count. The more info, like you mentioning paint.net, is helpful when asking people to help you.

no on paint.net

Did you even try the link I gave you?

This is pretty much why people become unwilling to help you, you have shown absolutely zero inclination to even try to find things yourself. And it's not even obscure things you need help with, this is basic Paint.net usage stuff things that there are millions of guides and tutorials on the internet for.

Read this topic until you understand it.

Open paint.net, go to the color wheel. 

paint_net.png

See that part that says "opacity-alpha", Move that bar to change the opacity (how translucent it is). Then you just pant the canvas.

paint_net2.png

So it looks like that. If you want stock clear glass, get grey and set the opacity to 35.

Here's an example from my jeep xj

paint_net3.png

The parts that look purple, that's the window tint. The parts that are clear are my windshield and front driver and passenger windows. I kept them clear because I didn't want them tinted. They're not totally clear though. I set the opacity at 35 so you can tell they are there. You can also put stickers and decals on the glass like I did. 

2015_05_16_00012.jpg

This is what you get as a result. See the front windows are not tinted. Pretty cool, right?

Edit: Ok, as Marijn pointed out, you can have translucent tinted glass with a .dds

paint_net4.png

This is what happens if you save it as a .dds and do not change the encoding type. It has to be DXT3 or DXT5.

paint_net5.png

Just select DXT3 or DXT5 from the dropbox and save it. Now you have translucent glass in the .dds file format.

Edit: It is also important to know that it has to be a .tga to have colored/tinted windows. Even to have stock window tint like I shown above, it has to be .tga

This is what happens if you save it as a .dds. The tinted windows turn to a solid color and the non-tinted windows turn completely translucent (this would make it be invisible in the game). Hope all this helps!

Nice post JeepCherokee. Though I don't agree with this. It depends on the encoding type. DXT3 and DXT5 do seem to work correctly (and all transparent glass is in fact stored as .dds in texturesCache.zip). There probably are some other encoding types that work, haven't checked them all.

Regarding DXT compression "levels":

• DXT1 - No transparency data saved or on/off only transparency
  • DXT3 - Transparency at 16 levels
  • DXT5 - Transparency at 16 levels with interpolation possible between the levels (better for soft transitions)

Nice post JeepCherokee. Though I don't agree with this. It depends on the encoding type. DXT3 and DXT5 do seem to work correctly (and all transparent glass is in fact stored as .dds in texturesCache.zip). There probably are some other encoding types that work, haven't checked them all.

Hmm very interesting, I did not know that. I'll edit my post now.