Oovee® Games

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LetsRockAndRoll

LetsRockAndRoll's Truck Thread

That's a hell of a workhorse Rock. Will surely be very useful in game. I'm really liking the log cart too.

It's just a converted dolly trailer Tattoo, would be nice if we could detach a trailer, load it, then re-attach though.

I found the 8x8 version, it's called the Tornado. It has the same cab with a slightly different engine housing. There's some pics here: http://trucks.autoreview.ru/_archive/section/detail.php?ELEMENT_ID=139408&SECTION_ID=7834

So I did some quick surgery and here it is:

tornado.png

I'll change the engine housing tomorrow. This one can handle a load of medium logs with almost no rear overhang.

It's just a converted dolly trailer Tattoo, would be nice if we could detach a trailer, load it, then re-attach though.

I found the 8x8 version, it's called the Tornado. It has the same cab with a slightly different engine housing. There's some pics here: http://trucks.autoreview.ru/_archive/section/detail.php?ELEMENT_ID=139408&SECTION_ID=7834

So I did some quick surgery and here it is:

I'll change the engine housing tomorrow. This one can handle a load of medium logs with almost no rear overhang.

Maybe you could kinda jack-knife the trailer to load it easier?

That's a cool lookin' truck too Rock but how the heck did ya get it in game so fast? Was it in the works already?

Obviously the cab and wheels are mine. The chassis is or was from the old Kamaz Mustang mod. But now it has 4 less bones and has been re-skinned so the suspension works without glitching and the chassis flexes.

I'd love to know where I could find such a model already textured and rigged though.

Obviously the cab and wheels are mine. The chassis is or was from the old Kamaz Mustang mod. But now it has 4 less bones and has been re-skinned so the suspension works without glitching and the chassis flexes.

I'd love to know where I could find such a model already textured and rigged though.

you also have to make the 4x4 version

Found model, textured, rigged etc Is my guess. Don't forget to name your sources!

I must be doing it wrong. Here's me sitting in front of my screen for hours battling with 3ds max, cursing at xml, and pulling my hair out with frustration when things don't work. When obviously the internet is littered with pre-rigged and textured models of exactly the truck I want all ready to just drop into the game.

You and me both, Rock. Nice family of trucks, by the way.

Thanks freeman, I've been keeping a close eye on your skidder progress. I'm informed that quite a few of the Chevrolet 4x4 swb trucks were fitted with skidders after WWII. It might make an interesting conversion.

Hopefully I can find one that's already nicely textured and rigged with all the working hydraulics ready to be put in game  ;)

Perhaps my formatting was off.

1. Found model
  2. Textured model
  3. Rigged model
  4. ...
  5. Profit

A very simplified example, but a little closer. Here's an overview of how I convert a typical Sketchup model and the processes involved. It may be of help to someone who wants to start modding for this game.

Stage 1: Preparation

Re - scale model

Break down into re-usable modules ( Chassis, Cab, Wheels etc )

Reset Xform  (all modules)

Remove UV mapping & materials  (all modules)

Transform & Scale (all modules)

Stage 2: Animation

Load only the chassis into 3ds max

Add main chassis bone, cabin bone, and axle bones.

Add skin to model and begin weighting the verts

When happy add cdt meshes for cab and chassis

Modify the models structure to comply with game requirements 

Stage 3: Chassis Test

Export chassis only in .X format

Re-name your dummy CombineXMesh file

Re-name your truck testing xml file and point it at your CombineXMesh file

Start game

Punch the screen when your model appears as a tangled mess

Repeat stage 2 until chassis and suspension work correctly

Stage 4: Construction

Take the modules you saved in Stage 1 and rebuild the model in 3ds Max

Modify the cdt meshes as necessary

Save model in .X format

Repeat Stage 3

At this point you should have a correctly structured working ST mod.

NB: Do not rush stage 1. As with most things preparation is the most important stage. If you skimp on this stage you will most definitely pay for it later.

Stage 1: Preparation

Remove UV mapping & materials  (all modules)

I don't agree with this. If you find a model that is mapped, you should never remove the mapping on it. You would just have to do it again if you did that so why remove it?

I don't agree with this. If you find a model that is mapped, you should never remove the mapping on it. You would just have to do it again if you did that so why remove it?

I did say 'Sketchup' model at the start Tattoo. They have masses of materials assigned to each object and usually have badly aligned normals. Also the model may have been UV mapped as a single mesh. As I'm breaking the model up into re-usable and manageable modules the existing UV map is of little use.

I did say 'Sketchup' model at the start Tattoo. They have masses of materials assigned to each object and usually have badly aligned normals. Also the model may have been UV mapped as a single mesh. As I'm breaking the model up into re-usable and manageable modules the existing UV map is of little use.

Ok, I must have mis-understood then, sorry. But I've gotten sketchup models that had good mapping.

Not sure what ya mean by this tho, 'Also the model may have been UV mapped as a single mesh'. Why would that matter?

EDIT: I just reread that and noticed that you forgot to add the step to re-map the model.

Let's take a typical Sketchup model. It looks good on screen ( eg: Deuce and a half ) but when you load it into 3ds max the chassis is fine but the cab is terrible. Luckily I have another model of the Deuce with a much better cab. Solution mate the good chassis to the good cab. Side effect, the existing UV mapping is useless. 

I guess I'd have to see the model you're referring to.

Here's the pintle hitch for the garage cart. I made a new one because the model I got from GrabCad has 169,900 polys. Mine is at 6.350, considerably less. Still a bit high but a lot better than the good one I found. I used the one I found as my guide/blueprint. Now I get to map it, fun, fun. :)

Lol, those GrabCad models, 169,000 poly's for a towing hook! I thought 140,000 poly's for an offroad tyre was high.

Any idea how to get rid of the angle on the standard medium logs load, or do i need to make a custom version?

Yeah man, they're very high quality but way too high poly. When I import one, in the modifier panel, it's not a mesh or poly, it's a body and there is a setting for high, medium and low but if I go with just medium before converting to poly, the edges and vertices aren't aligned very well so ya almost have to go with high. Would be sweet if that worked better because it would shave so much off of it.

I've never messed with the log loads yet so I have no clue, sorry.

I checked the .X file of the medium logs. It's modelled at the angle that it loads onto the cart and trailer. So the front end is higher than the back end. I would have just raised the height of the trailer so the load was level but hey it's ST so let's keep things interesting for the modders  ;)

Did you see the Ural with the rear mounted crane in the screen shots of stuff to come?

http://www.oovee.co.uk/forum/topic/11036-dev240415-more-screenshots-of-wip-assets/

If they introduce that truck they will have to model new log loads so I don't know if it's worth doing a custom log load.

I like that new cart, because the crane is neat but god that medium log trailer is such an ass. Having a crane with no trailer will be nice.

Also doesn't the MAZ-535 model already have a hook like that on the front that you could use?

Got some more work on the Kamaz Tornado done. This version of the truck has a full set of mudguards unlike it's smaller brother the Typhoon. 

kt_prog.png

The air-con & nbc filtering housing behind the cab is much smaller than the one the Typhoon to make room for a spare wheel.  I'm still looking for some decent pics of the spare wheel holder.

kt_prog1.png

Here it is with a carriage for a medium log load. 

kt_prog2.png

There's a slight problem with the medium log load though as it's modelled at an angle so it doesn't position correctly on the carriage bed  :(

Well.... the Chevy CMP is a "older" truck.. so it would make sense that it might be less powerfull compared to more modern trucks.

<ReverseGear
	Torque="42631"
	AngVelMin="-2.78"
	AngVelOpt="1.39"
	AngVelMax="7.65"
	MaxDeltaAngVel="0.1"
/>
<HighGear
	Torque="22227"
	AngVelMin="0"
	AngVelOpt="2.67"
	AngVelMax="14.68"