Oovee® Games

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arya Suun

Assistance with tweaking

This is the texture file for the 6x6 - hummer_h2_sut_body3__d_a.tga. I changed the 4x4 to blue.

This is how I do it in Photoshop. First, I duplicate the layer so I keep the original for the parts that need to stay original, then I use 'Desaturate' to change it to grey scale. If this isn't done, the color looks like crap. Then I create a new layer and colored it blue, then changed the blending to overlay. That makes everything blueish. Then I just erase what needs to stay original. This is how it looks now. I didn't want the springs blue but don't know where they are in the texture so I just left it alone.

You can also use 'Hue/Saturation' and check the colorize check box but since I'm colorblind, the other way works better for me.

Ok, thats a start I suppose.. 2 problems though. Thats the 4x4 version, I'm trying to paint the 6x6.. and I don't have Photoshop. I'm using GIMP. Any ideas there? Thanks though!

I don't use Gimp so I don't know how it works. Yes, I changed the 4x4 but I just told you what texture the 6x6 uses.

Okay, gotcha. I still can't figure out how to do it in GIMP though.. Ah well, thank you for the help sir. :)

The process would essentially be the same in GIMP. Sounds like what you are looking for is a basic GIMP tutorial. Which are freely available all over the internet.

Ok I've gotten the overlay and such done. Now, if I understood correctly, I need to erase the parts of the greyscaled and colored layers that I don't want to change and set that as alpha layer.. which will allow the origional image to show through the other two, and repaint only the body? Assuming that's correct then do you have any tips on erasing the badges from the greyscale layer, and the intricate areas on the overlay? Or am I going about this totally wrong? Either way, I'm looking up tutorials on GIMP right now, but I can't seem to find any relating to ST specifically. I suppose the concept is the same for any retexture/repaint type job. Thanks again guys, I appreciate your paitence with my slowness. ^.^

EDIT: Okay, got it working now. I have sucessfully repainted the truck. New problem: The color is extreamly faded. Is there anything I can do to lessen that?

Either way, I'm looking up tutorials on GIMP right now, but I can't seem to find any relating to ST specifically. I suppose the concept is the same for any retexture/repaint type job.

Yep. You won't find an ST specific tutorial, because recoloring a picture is such an elementary function.

New problem: The color is extreamly faded. Is there anything I can do to lessen that?

Yep, overlay the color again.

Well, you can edit the tire.xml(s) fairly easily.. Can't really change the tires much without causing visual errors though. (Floating trucks, ect) However, there is at least one tire pack in the download section here that lets you put all tires on any truck and possibly adds new ones.

Which brings me back to the topic here, I am going to add in a couple tires from other mods to the H2 tonight. After getting them tweaked to where I like them I am going to do a little more gear changing.. I have such ADHD when it comes to this stuff. Bouncing back & forth between the things I want to do with the truck. Also, I have yet to get my addon to install. Basically what I did was copy/pasted the code for a different addon, then changed the install socket and removed the mesh/texture refs, then changed the CoM offset. I can't figure why it's not working now. Any advice?

Edit: I was wondering, since it seems that using and releasing content from the leaked map maker isn't taboo... does anyone know where I can get it? Google searching found little other than an inaccessible Steam page.

Ah, many nice things there.. once it's been translated to English lol

Ah, many nice things there.. once it's been translated to English lol

Any closer to Releasing it? :)

Not yet. Been busy with IRL issues. I've got a few things to yet do on the truck.. and even once I'm happy with it, it may not qualify for a uploadable tweak. We shall see. Also, I would need permission from the original author of the mod to upload my version.

Status update on H2 6x6. I think I am gonna call it a day as it where for now. I accomplished almost all of my goals that I set.. and a couple I hadn't intended on. I may add a set of tires to the truck, something to bridge the gap in the current flow. Stock - DoT looking ATs - T150s. I never got around to adding lights or winch points.. though I may still do the winch. I added a few BASIC paint schemes. (Solid color bodywork, with original textures besides) Colors are: Silver with black tailgate (intentional!), Black, blue, green, NEON pink (cause why not), and Sun-Bleached-Purple. I want to repaint the T150 wheels, to get rid of the rust spots.. but I don't think thats as easy as the repaint was.

Anyways, I am now to the point of finding out if my "tweak" is actually a Tweak, and if so getting permission to upload it. :) If extra/more wheels are something I need to do to meet the requirements then I am okay with adding some in, though I will need to poke around and find ones I like. ^.^

Side note:

I have been also working on that 1999 Dodge Ram I mentioned before. So far I have added the T150s and engine sounds from the H2 6x to it (That V8 was sooo OOC for the Dodge, IMO.) I've also changed some suspention stuff and edited gearing.. dunno if I will put much effort into it though. :P One thing though, the Dodge is giving me issues with the engine sounds.. it's looping the engine startup sound when idleing. It still plays the normal idle sound though.

Edit: It seems I might already have permission to tweak the Ram.. assuming the person who responded to me (I'm Rav3n) here: http://spintires.nl/st14-1999-dodge-ram/is actually SoD.

Alrighty; I have been given the go-ahead by the original author to release a tweak of the H2 6x6. I have also gotten permission from a different person to use a wheel set they made! :D I'm gonna spend some time fussing with the suspension settings again tonight, and do some tire testing. Then I will be at the final step for putting a "1.0 version" of the tweak up; making sure it qualifies as a tweak. :)

In the mean time, if one of you legendary modders around here has the time, I would be most honored if one or two of you would be willing to test the truck as-is and tell me what you think of my first stab at this. :)

Edit: Couple more things I forgot that I need to do.

• Fix tire tracks; Textures are wrong for both of the normal-ish wheels.
  • Try again to get my attachment to work... still stumped here though. :\
  • Try to fix a visual error with the default wheels, caused by widening the wheelbase of the truck significantly. (At least it doesn't flip anymore!)
  • Final adjustments to Fuel/Damage and attachment fuel/repair stuff. (The truck is meant to be an explorer for maps which have extreme obstacles like Abandoned Mines' mud-field, and/or a rescue vehicle for equally extreme mishaps.)
  • Change the UAZ Trunk attachment to use the same mesh/textures as the "normal" tool kit. (Will have different effects, but be visually the same. This will also mean you cannot carry BOTH attachments at the same time.)

Edit2: Does anyone know if there is a way to modify the resistance value of a "locked" differential? I notice that when a vehicle is struggling it is common for the tires to lurch/spin independently even when the diffs are locked.

Well I ended up not being able to work on this last night, so no progress just yet. Should have most if not all of that done tonight and ready to roll. Also, I'm thinking I would like to make some real visual attachments to this truck. Eg: A toolbox + some kind of crate, strapped down if possible, in the bed.. or even a largeish fuel tank for the bed. Nothing crazy yet.. but they are fairly straightfoward to design. Similar to what I do in my classes anyway. The only questions I have are: Is it necessary to use 3ds Max? I have AutoCAD 2012 and Inventor 2012 already.. and haven't taken the 3ds Max class yet.

Edit: 'nother question. Has there been any progress made on putting standalone trucks in, instead of replacing the existing ones? I know there is the work around by making the extra truck a trailer, then changing it back once detached.. but this is a cumbersome process. Was just wondering.

Alrighty, this should be the last "status update" post before the truck is ready.

• I was unfortunately unable to use the TSL wheels because they are far too small for the truck.. (My fault, shoulda paid more attention.) I am still looking at other wheels to use, including stock-truck wheels.
  • Tire tracks are good now, again my fault. Another mod I had installed was messing things up.
  • As for the default and "offroad" wheels being too far away from the hubs.. nothing I can do about that. At least not while keeping the widened wheelbase settings, which are somewhat necessary for the truck to be stable. Also, the T150s eat half the axle with the old settings.
  • I am still unsuccessful in making my invisible attachment work. Help here would be great. :)
  • UAZ Trunk attachment removed.
  • Modded attachments tweaked to be more suited for rescue operations.
  • Extended internal fuel tank from 350 to 500. This thing gets thirsty in automatic, even with AWD and dif-lock OFF.
  • Changed trucks damage threshold from 700 to 1,000. (Can adjust up or down. Need feedback here.)

I'm also going to tinker with the steering settings again.. see if a different setup is better. Again, some feedback would be great. :)

I am wanting to change the steering return rate, but I can't seem to figure out how. (How fast the steering returns to 0* without input) Help?

Finally, I would like someone to playtest this for me and give me their opinion on it. (What's liked, what isnt. Things that should be changed/tweaked. Ect.)

Gonna send a PM or two, see what happens with that. :)

Alrighty, this should be the last "status update" post before the truck is ready.

• I was unfortunately unable to use the TSL wheels because they are far too small for the truck.. (My fault, shoulda paid more attention.) I am still looking at other wheels to use, including stock-truck wheels.
  • Tire tracks are good now, again my fault. Another mod I had installed was messing things up.
  • As for the default and "offroad" wheels being too far away from the hubs.. nothing I can do about that. At least not while keeping the widened wheelbase settings, which are somewhat necessary for the truck to be stable. Also, the T150s eat half the axle with the old settings.
  • I am still unsuccessful in making my invisible attachment work. Help here would be great. :)
  • UAZ Trunk attachment removed.
  • Modded attachments tweaked to be more suited for rescue operations.
  • Extended internal fuel tank from 350 to 500. This thing gets thirsty in automatic, even with AWD and dif-lock OFF.
  • Changed trucks damage threshold from 700 to 1,000. (Can adjust up or down. Need feedback here.)

I'm also going to tinker with the steering settings again.. see if a different setup is better. Again, some feedback would be great. :)

I am wanting to change the steering return rate, but I can't seem to figure out how. (How fast the steering returns to 0* without input) Help?

Finally, I would like someone to playtest this for me and give me their opinion on it. (What's liked, what isnt. Things that should be changed/tweaked. Ect.)

Gonna send a PM or two, see what happens with that. :)

Changes to both fuel and damage seem great, am more than happy to do a playtest for you :)

It really doesn't matter what application you use for 3D modelling as long as it can import/export, or has a plugin that can import/export in .X format.

If you download the 'leaked' release version from a certain Russian site you can add stand alone trucks to that. Which is much better for testing purposes. However,  it doesn't guarantee that they will work in the latest version of the game as internal coding and XML tags/templates are being changed all the time.

Okay, thanks Rockandroll. :) I've got one last bit of status update on the tweak. As far as I am concerned it's ready to go, so assuming it qualifies as a Tweak it will probably get uploaded today. Once it's out I will be taking feedback and am willing to make changes based on what people think of it.

Warning: This is a FULL CHANGELOG from Bregel's original truck! (Not necessarily in order of changes, since it's basically V1.0 of the Tweak.)

• Separated rear wheels into Middle and Rear sets.
  • Added inverted steering to both sets of rear wheels; Mid wheels turn less than rear, rear less than front.
  • Changed suspension settings; Truck now can use 100% of the suspension travel. (T150 tires may rub on front fenders if bump-stops are reached.)
  • Removed "UAZ Trunk" attachment. It was added by a third party, and looked pretty weird.
  • Changed Damage Threshold from 700 to 1,000.
  • Changed Fuel capacity (internal) from 350 to 500.
  • Added two sets of STOCK GAME tires; URAL Offroad, and Zil default. (I plan on adding modded tires to this, but currently I am having difficulty finding ones that I have/can get permission to use that fit the size and height of the truck.)
  • Changed gear settings; Changed 1st to be more of a crawler gear, 1+ to be faster. All gears had torque values changed.
  • Edited settings for all included (Modded) tires; To more closely resemble how I feel they would perform. (In no way do I claim to be an expert!)
  • Widened wheelbase of truck. Note: This is a xml change, the models are unchanged. This means thinner wheels like the default and "Offroad" tires appear to float slightly away from the hubs. There is nothing I can do about this AFAIK without changing the models of either the tires or the truck.
  • Changed truck's mass from 4,000 to 2,500.
  • Slight edit of sound settings in truck.xml to make all of the intended sounds work correctly.
  • Added 6 solid color paint schemes; Silver, black, blue, faded purple, green, and neon pink. They are in the "Repaint" folder in Textures. (May add one or two more complex paints later.)
  • Edited included attachments to be more tuned to a rescue operations role. Note: The attachments abilities are unbalanced for how they look. This is potentially temporary, as I may create models for new attachments to share the load.
  • Edited exhaust settings (particles) in order to better balance the amount of smoke produced, and eliminate as much of the heat distortion from the exhaust as possible.
  • Added attachment "Spare Fuel" Currently, this attachment will not install. I am working on this.
  • Attempted to make the truck able to accelerate from stopped in 1+ gear. This is meant to function ONLY if the truck is on fairly flat and hard surfaces. (WIP)
  • Fixed rear lights so all now illuminate properly.
  • Probably a few small things that I have forgotten.

Please be aware that even after I upload this I am still going to be messing with it. Feedback is welcome and appreciated!

Couple of notes:

This truck is VERY thirsty in automatic, even with AWD and dif-lock off.

+1 Gear can also be inefficient.

The T150 tires are intended to be extreme terrain tires now, and as such cause MPG to drastically decline.

I will be adding a couple more winch points to the truck soon.

Mud is irrelevant with T150s installed.

T150s don't rock-crawl. This is intentional. For that, use the URAL tires; they flex a bit!

Front tires may twitch visually under heavy steering. Not sure how to fix this.

• Added attachment "Spare Fuel" Currently, this attachment will not install. I am working on this.

Is this an addon, if so, what is the problem you are having?

Yeah, it's an addon. I'm trying to make it "internal" aka not giving it a mesh/texture, or in some way making it invisible. The idea is an internal 2nd fuel tank, like the older pickups.

That's easy enough to do. I will set the mesh up with x,y,z, co-ords of 0,0,0. You will need to position it using the 'Offset=" parameter in your XML. If you are using 'The Dude' addon all you need to do is adjust the 'x' offset from that.

Oh! Sweet. I don't use 'The Dude" addon, I was considering it but I never got around to getting it. Probly would use the Jennifer one anyway. :P If possible, could you give me a basic run-down of what you did to do the mesh when you do it? I would like to learn these things.

Edit: As soon as teh addon in question is working, I will upload the Tweak to the download section. :)

It's just a mesh that acts like the glass in the trucks but this one is totally opaque ( invisible ).

PM me your email and I'll send it over to you.