Oovee® Games

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arya Suun

Assistance with tweaking

Hello, I have been dabbling a bit in trying to modify some vehicles I have downloaded.. One of the trucks (Hummer H2 6x) I want to try adding rear wheel steering to it, to curb it's enormous turning circle. I want to do it to the rearmost axle, 50% angle at lock, and obviously reversed from the front steering. While I am not at my gaming PC right now, I would love any advice on how I would accomplish this, and indeed if it is possible.

I know the MAZ has 50% angle steering on its front-mid axle, but I haven't seen any evidence that the steering could be inverted for one axle.

Thankyou in advance!

Check out the T150 mod, there the steering is done by "twisting" the whole tractor in half, might set you on right track.

Might also be as simple as specifying negative steering angle, so if the front axle has SteeringAngle="40", try giving the rear axle SteeringAngle="-40" (and see if it crashes :P )

Check out the T150 mod, there the steering is done by "twisting" the whole tractor in half, might set you on right track.

Might also be as simple as specifying negative steering angle, so if the front axle has SteeringAngle="40", try giving the rear axle SteeringAngle="-40" (and see if it crashes :P )

Doesn't the T150 have a hidden wheel?

I don't know, I just thought it might give him an idea.

The negative steering angle is how it's done on the Uaz I linked him to. But I'm sure I noticed references to a hidden wheel in the XML of the T150. 

This is from SIDs Rock Crawler and is very easy to do

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<_templates Include="trucks">
	<Wheel>
		<FrontWheel
			DefaultWheelType="Crawlerwheel"
			SteeringAngle="45"
			Torque="default"
			ConnectedToHandbrake="false"
		>

<Suspension
				MinLimit="-0.6"
				MaxLimit=".8"
				Strength="0.02"
				Damping="0.17"
			/>
			<Steering Castor="0" />
		</FrontWheel>
		<RearWheel
			DefaultWheelType="Crawlerwheel"
			SteeringAngle="-15"               <----------------------
			Torque="default"
			ConnectedToHandbrake="true"
		>
			<Suspension
				MinLimit="-0.6"
				MaxLimit=".8"
				Strength="0.015"
				Damping="0.15"
			/>
		</RearWheel>

Hello, I have been dabbling a bit in trying to modify some vehicles I have downloaded.. One of the trucks (Hummer H2 6x) I want to try adding rear wheel steering to it, to curb it's enormous turning circle. I want to do it to the rearmost axle, 50% angle at lock, and obviously reversed from the front steering. While I am not at my gaming PC right now, I would love any advice on how I would accomplish this, and indeed if it is possible.

I know the MAZ has 50% angle steering on its front-mid axle, but I haven't seen any evidence that the steering could be inverted for one axle.

Thankyou in advance!

For the rearest most axle it should look a bit like this:

<Wheel>

<FrontRowWheel

DefaultWheelType="908_Wheel3"

SteeringAngle="40"

Torque="full"

ConnectedToHandbrake="false"

>

<Suspension

MinLimit="-0.3"

MaxLimit="0.3"

Strength="0.02"

/>

<Steering Castor="8" />

</FrontRowWheel>

<MiddleRowWheel

SteeringAngle="0"

Torque="default"

>

<Suspension

MinLimit="-0.3"

MaxLimit="0.3"

Strength="0.02"

/>

</MiddleRowWheel>

<RearRowWheel

SteeringAngle="-10"

Torque="full"

>

<Suspension

MinLimit="-0.3"

MaxLimit="0.3"

Strength="0.02"

/>

</RearRowWheel>

</Wheel>

You also need edit the bottum part of the xml a bit like this:

<Wheels>

<Wheel _template="FrontRowWheel" DiffGroup="axle0">

<Suspension Hardpoint="(3.95; -0.6; 1.2)" />

</Wheel>

<Wheel _template="FrontRowWheel" DiffGroup="axle0">

<Suspension Hardpoint="(3.95; -0.6; -1.0)" />

</Wheel>

<Wheel _template="MiddleRowWheel" DiffGroup="axle1">

<Suspension Hardpoint="(-0.83; -0.6; 1.2)" />

</Wheel>

<Wheel _template="MiddleRowWheel" DiffGroup="axle1">

<Suspension Hardpoint="(-0.83; -0.6; -1.0)" />

</Wheel>

<Wheel _template="RearRowWheel" DiffGroup="axle2">

<Suspension Hardpoint="(-2.25; -0.6; 1.2)" />

</Wheel>

<Wheel _template="RearRowWheel" DiffGroup="axle2">

<Suspension Hardpoint="(-2.25; -0.6; -1.0)" />

</Wheel>

</Wheels>

Good luck

Okay, so I'm looking through the truck.xml. (that is the right one right? the individual wheel.xml files don't have all of the code posted above. sorry.. major noob here) Anyhow, in the truck.xml the wheels are listed only as front and rear. I can add steering angle to the rear, but it will apply to both sets of rear wheels. I only want the rearmost set to have steering. Also, am I allowed to post the code from the truck here? It's not my mod so I dont want to post it unless its OK.

EDIT: Got it, I copied and the "rear wheel" template, then changed all of the "RearWheel" to "MidWheel" Then, changed the axle2 group in the bottom of the xml to the same. Works perfectly! Whoo! Thank you all SO much!

Is this the 'Hummer H2 SUT 6x6' by Bregel?

EDIT: Got it, I copied and the "rear wheel" template, then changed all of the "RearWheel" to "MidWheel" Then, changed the axle2 group in the bottom of the xml to the same. Works perfectly! Whoo! Thank you all SO much!

Yes, that's pretty much what I just did to the one I mentioned but wanted to be sure we were talking of the same mod. Glad ya got it figured out...

Is this the 'Hummer H2 SUT 6x6' by Bregel?

Yes, that's pretty much what I just did to the one I mentioned but wanted to be sure we were talking of the same mod. Glad ya got it figured out...

Yeah. This one http://spintires.nl/st14-hummer-h2-sut-6x6/to be exact. There where some differences between the code you posted and "mine" though.

Either way, it would have taken my ages to figure that out on my own. Thanks again :)

Now I'm off to try to figure out why the 4x4 version (from spintires.nl also) has a seisure every time I go 'offroad' in it.

Edit: Turns out its from the add-ons bug I've heard about. Ah well, most of the add ons for the 4x4 dont do anything really anyways. ^^

Going sorta off topic here.. but it's about the same truck so I didn't want to go starting another thread.

I'm still 'tweaking' the H2 6x to be more in-line with my preferences.

So far I have;

-More realistic weight/mass for the truck. (Was 4,000 mine is at 7500)

-Raised ride height in the front, to level the truck out and stiffened front suspension to better cope with the engine weight.

-Changed Minimum/Maximum values for suspension travel, to better utilize the MASSIVE ground clearance of the truck. (Adjusted specifically for the T150s, so the smaller tires look a bit silly. Though they still work well.)

-Edited tire.xmls to be more accurate to how said tires would work in a given situation IMO.

-Slightly inflated T150 tires. Looks more realistic to how I've seen that style of tire on trucks IRL.

-Added rear steering to BOTH rear axles. -10 MidAxle, -20 Rear. (I know most IRL vehicles with this setup would have the midaxle steer the same direction as the front, but having it setup like mine works better for getting traction on uneven surfaces. -based on testing.)

To do:

-Finalize suspension settings. (Attempt to eliminate sideways wobble from sudden angle changes, and adjust bound/rebound to settle the bounce a little more. Presumably this is with stiffness and dampening lines in the xml.)

-Widen wheelbase slightly, the truck is very tall so can roll more easily than I would like.

-Repaint. This I need help with.. I have GIMP, and I have figured out how to repaint ST vehicles. (Trial & error with the '99 Dodge.) However, this truck has a totally different setup in the body texture file, I can't for the life of me figure out how to repaint ONLY the "painted" bits. IE: Without repainting the entire thing.

-Edit the attachments that come with the truck to be more in-line with a rescue/extreme explorer vehicle.

-Possibly add invisible attachment(s) for internal spare fuel tank and/or on-board maintenance kit. (Depends on if the attachment seizure bug attacks my face when I try to do it.)

-Figure out how to add or reposition "headlights" to the sides of the cab. (Pointed down, and out. To illuminate the area immediately surrounding the truck. Only "on" when the headlights are.)

-Add winch points to the roll-cage just aft of the cab, above the bed.. and another pair on the side steps. (To facilitate righting the truck in the event it flips, or using it as a mobile but secure winch point for another truck.

-Remove "heat distortion" from the exhaust emission. (Only the shimmer, not the smoke.)

-Change +1 Gear slightly (more) to allow starting in high range. (Only if it can be done in a way that is realistic. IE: CAN launch in +1 on tarmac, CAN'T launch in +1 in mud or uphill.)

Finally, when I'm done I might poke Bregel and see if it's cool that I upload this as a Tweaked version.

EDIT: Just putting this out there, while I am going to school currently for Drafting & Design, I have little skill creating complex 3d models. So I will more than probably not be adding any new models to the truck.

More Edit: I will record some footage of the new suspension settings and such and upload it to YouTube later if that's something that would be interesting.

Anyway, opinions/advice on my "project" and help with the repaint would be greatly appreciated!

I've been using these myself as well. These are 2 of the finest mods I seen yet. I like the 4x4 more but like the power/sound of the 6x6. I don't like the uaz sounds on the 4x4 so I changed them. I also changed the power settings with something from one of SIDs mods but it went all over the place and flipped a lot so I had revert back. I then used the 6x6 settings and is a lot better now.

I'd be interested in your changes. I'd like to see the difference of what you did compared to the original. As far as posting it, if not, you can just paste the code here and let others copy/paste. Maybe put it in a Spoiler so it's not a super long post.

I've got a good list of currentish stuff above, more to be finished tonight hopefully. Tommorow during the day I will make a video showing it at the Off Road Park. I'm trying to figure out how to create an attachment that does not have a object with it right now, for the spare fuel tank.

EDIT: I have the addon, the addon point, and it's showing up in game.. but it wont install on the truck. Selecting it does nothing. It's getting late and I've been mucking about with this since like 9pm.. so I'm going to bed. Try again tomorrow. ^^

Also, what is a good -free- video capture software? I used to have FRAPS but it got deleted. (Full version, "borrowed" a friends install files.)

Okay. So, here's the list of changes so far.

To do:

-Finalize suspension settings. (Attempt to eliminate sideways wobble from sudden angle changes, and adjust bound/rebound to settle the bounce a little more. Presumably this is with stiffness and dampening lines in the xml.) Done!

-Widen wheelbase slightly, the truck is very tall so can roll more easily than I would like. Done!

-Repaint. This I need help with.. I have GIMP, and I have figured out how to repaint ST vehicles. (Trial & error with the '99 Dodge.) However, this truck has a totally different setup in the body texture file, I can't for the life of me figure out how to repaint ONLY the "painted" bits. IE: Without repainting the entire thing.

-Edit the attachments that come with the truck to be more in-line with a rescue/extreme explorer vehicle.

-Possibly add invisible attachment(s) for internal spare fuel tank and/or on-board maintenance kit. (Depends on if the attachment seizure bug attacks my face when I try to do it.)

-Figure out how to add or reposition "headlights" to the sides of the cab. (Pointed down, and out. To illuminate the area immediately surrounding the truck. Only "on" when the headlights are.)

-Add winch points to the roll-cage just aft of the cab, above the bed.. and another pair on the side steps. (To facilitate righting the truck in the event it flips, or using it as a mobile but secure winch point for another truck.

-Remove "heat distortion" from the exhaust emission. (Only the shimmer, not the smoke.) Done!

-Change +1 Gear slightly (more) to allow starting in high range. (Only if it can be done in a way that is realistic. IE: CAN launch in +1 on tarmac, CAN'T launch in +1 in mud or uphill.)

In addition,

-I reverted the "inflation" of the T150 tires. I need to spend some time playing with them, as the treads on the rear tires clip through each other when the steering is more than 40%. (Visual issue only)

-Added extra fuel to built in tank, as the truck can be very ineffecent when in Automatic or +1.

-Fixed minor truck.xml error that caused the left-hand brake and reverse lights to not work. (Probly a copy/pasta that got missed from the OA)

-Secondary Fuel Tank as new addon. Shows up in game, won't install. (Probably because I'm trying to do with without a mesh. IE: Invisible/hidden addon.)

Finally.. Screenies!

WARNING: Theres quite a few. :P Also, the "4x6" (Driving through mud on Off Road Park) was done with AWD off!

post-155978-0-26436300-1422633401_thumb.jpgpost-155978-0-61652200-1422633400_thumb.jpgpost-155978-0-64507300-1422633403_thumb.jpgpost-155978-0-56619100-1422633406_thumb.jpgpost-155978-0-80327200-1422633407_thumb.jpgpost-155978-0-44707300-1422633405_thumb.jpgpost-155978-0-16198100-1422633448_thumb.jpgpost-155978-0-33709400-1422633450_thumb.jpgpost-155978-0-14662400-1422633451_thumb.jpgpost-155978-0-31207100-1422633402_thumb.jpgpost-155978-0-63844600-1422633449_thumb.jpg

Maps are Off Road Park, and Abandoned Mine. Both aquired from Spintires.nl

Also, random thumbnail that should be in the above spoiler!

post-155978-0-92550100-1422633448_thumb.jpg

When I get to where I'm happy with it I will see about it, but in the mean time you should try the oirginal if you haven't already. ^^ It's awesome without being tweaked! :P

I see you can go almost fully submerged without drowning. Another truck done by Bregel ( the Uaz 456 ) is the same. I wonder how he does that?

Oh I have tried the orginal and it's great, just would like to try out your tweaks also :)

Well hopefully once I'm done it will qualify as a tweak and Bregel will allow me permission. :D

I see you can go almost fully submerged without drowning. Another truck done by Bregel ( the Uaz 456 ) is the same. I wonder how he does that?

I don't know.. I'm still exploring the xmls tho, learning as i go. ^^ Might have something to do with the exhaust location, or maybe intake location.. if thats a thing in ST.

SensationOrigin="(2.25; 2.34; 0)"
SensationSize="(0.95; 0.64; 1.54)"

Adjust these numbers.

SensationOrigin="(2.25; 2.34; 0)"
SensationSize="(0.95; 0.64; 1.54)"

Adjust these numbers.

Copied the SensationOrigin & SensationSize lines from Bregels Uaz 456 XML into the Zil XML. No damage taken until the water reaches the roof line! This tweak should be good for people who mount a snorkel air intake.

These are the UAZ 456 parameters.

SensationOrigin="(-0.29; 2.55; 0)"
SensationSize="(1.64; 0.7; 1.6)"

Okay, small progress update. I haven't really done much the last couple days.. IRL car issues popped up. Anyhow, I have reached a point I'm happy with on the suspension setup. It's still a rough ride.. but a truck this size would have very stiff suspension IRL anyway. It soaks up the bumps on the Off Road Park's "main road" nicely and can articulate until the rear wheels nearly rub on the fenders.. so job done there. I have tweaked the tire weights to allow stability at higher speeds, adjusted the gears for higher speed in Automatic, reasonable speed in +1, and a slow/stead pace for 1st. My main focus now will be adjusting the above (last post by LetsRockAndRoll and post by PressureLine) to match it as closely as possible to the snorkle hight, figureing out how to repaint the truck, and fixing my new addon.

Okay, I give. I cannot figure out how to repaint this truck! The file the game uses for the texture file is of a normal H2 with 4 wheels.. and even if I'm wrong about that.. I simply cannot figure out how to modify the paint without modifing the rest of the image. If anyone can help with this.. I would be most greatful!